Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance loss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mcGreen

After dowloading the newest Dolphin version, I experienced some more fps drops than before.
Now this is of course the Hardware section, so I want to ask what I actually can expect from my rig, performance wise.

CPU: Intel i7 3930K @ 3,5 GHz
GPU: GTX 670
Motherboard: Gigabyte X79
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB
You may need a bit higher clock for your processor. The GPU shouldn´t give you any problem.

Also: Are you using OpenGL or DX11?
Protip: Nearly any performance issue can be solved if you overclock enough. I'd recommend 4.2-4.5 GHz, if not more, as long as your cooling can handle it and it stays stable.
McGreen, can you post here the brand of your cooler? If it´s a very good one, then you will not have any problem doing what Paul said.
If your cooler's not the best, there's two coolers I commonly recommend to people – the popular, inexpensive and effective Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, and the Noctua NH-D14, which is basically two of those duct-taped together.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-mast...212e20pkr2
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14

Also, if you're not using OpenGL with Vertex Streaming Hack checked, do that. It provides a pretty nice speedup.
So on what games are you experiencing these FPS drops?

mcGreen

Thanks for the replies.
I have a Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E, which is a total monster, so heat problems shouldn't be a thing, it's only a bit dusty in there. I only use half of the case fans because it has enough power alone. Im not too sure about overclocking, since im pretty much a noob in that, even when I have all the parts ment for it. My point is that my comp is good enough to play everything on Ultra settings so the OC would be just for emulating which isn't that important for me and I dont know if that is worth it.
I didn't even play all that much yet, since I only downloaded the Emulator last week.
I guess I played Animal Crossing: City Folks the most now, a little Rune Factory: Frontier (Hey, it's nice to relax a bit after some BF3 Hardcore matches on Ultra settings), and some Monster Hunter Tri. The fps drops aren't as bad as they sound, it rarerly drops below 95% with the lowest being 87%, and most of the time it stays on 100%, but even those little 3-5% drops are bugging me because somehow they are quite noticable.
Just OC a bit and you'll be fine.