Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is anything better than a GTX660 overkill for Dolphin/Pcxs2 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

User_7239

Is worth spending extra money on a better card that has more memory bandwidth 670 or one of the newer 7 series GTX cards ? So just guessing here if the 660 will play 90% all games full speed does the better card be able to play the rest full speed ?
It depends on how high you want the resolution to be. Is 4xIR in Dolphin enough for you? Then the GTX 660 would be enough.
PCSX2 + custom shaders (FXAA, HDR, color correction, etc) at 5x native resolution usually runs perfectly with my GTX 760. If I try at 6x native + shaders, it isn't enough powerful for some games that are very GPU dependant. The worst example I've seen is Shadow of the Colossus. I sometimes hat to use 3x native to get over 60fps (without speedhacks).

In my experience, Dolphin usually needs more GPU power. Maybe because its internal resolution is higher than the one the PS2 uses, so when you multiply it by a high ammount (let's say x6), you end up having a higher resolution. Example: native in Dolphin is 640x528. 6xIR(3xIR+4xSSAA)= 3840x3168 pixels. 46.67% more pixels than the usual 4k resolution. In PCSX2, native resolution is usually 512x448 (depends on the game). So 6xIR= 3072x2688. At 6xIR, Dolphin uses 47.32% more pixels than PCSX2 at 6xIR, so it needs more memory bandwidth and more GPU power in general. That's without having into account if Dolphin games are harder to emulate in the GPU or not.
(09-20-2013, 12:24 AM)Subzero75 Wrote: [ -> ]So just guessing here if the 660 will play 90% all games full speed does the better card be able to play the rest full speed ?

660 will be enough with your 2500K (if you overclock your CPU Big Grin )

User_7239

''Is 4xIR in Dolphin enough for you?''

Is that the most desirable setting what most people would like to run the game in if they had the capable hardware ? is 4xIR for dolphin what most would like to shoot for ?

Also same question applies for Pcsx2 is 5x native resolution what would want to shoot if they could ? I'm kinda looking for what the averages are these emu's to see where what I should be shooting for before I make a large purchase.

Did you know that

650TI Boost
660TI

all have the same memory bandwidth ? But there is a big diff in price. Just for emulators purposes memory bandwidth is king so any of these card would give the same performance, true ?
masterotaku Wrote:That's without having into account if Dolphin games are harder to emulate in the GPU or not.

I would imagine they are since in the PS2 VU0 and VU1 do a lot of the heavy lifting for graphics processing. And those have to be emulated cpu side. Then again resolution isn't going to effect any pre-rasterization stuff.

Subzero75 Wrote:all have the same memory bandwidth ? But there is a big diff in price. Just for emulators purposes memory bandwidth is king so any of these card would give the same performance, true ?

No.

Subzero75 Wrote:Is that the most desirable setting what most people would like to run the game in if they had the capable hardware ? is 4xIR for dolphin what most would like to shoot for ?

Also same question applies for Pcsx2 is 5x native resolution what would want to shoot if they could ? I'm kinda looking for what the averages are these emu's to see where what I should be shooting for before I make a large purchase.

There is no single most desirable setting that people shoot for. I use auto window size and 4xSSAA myself.

User_7239

Subzero75 Wrote:
all have the same memory bandwidth ? But there is a big diff in price. Just for emulators purposes memory bandwidth is king so any of these card would give the same performance, true ?

NaturalViolence Wrote:
No.

Can you please explain further as to it's no. Are we talking about small 5-7% increase in performance for a 660/660TI. I don't see that being worth the extra cost, 650TI Boost which now on newegg sell for 140$ after rebate. Please convince me it's worth the extra cost. This review of the 650 boost shows that it's only a couple of frames behind the 660 the card basically has a few less cuda's, read the reviewer final comments. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi...iew,1.html
Anyway thanks I've made up my mind.
Subzero75 Wrote:Please convince me it's worth the extra cost.
Subzero75 Wrote:Anyway thanks I've made up my mind.

......which one is it?

Subzero75 Wrote:Are we talking about small 5-7% increase in performance for a 660/660TI.

Likely more than that but I can't tell you how much more. We don't have the data we need to draw accurate conclusions. All I can tell you is that memory bandwidth isn't the only thing that effects dolphins performance.