Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: E8400 over E5200 on dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi , anybody know if the extra 4M L2 cahce from E8400 benefit for dolphin emu ? Who have real world experience ?

E8400 : 6M cache
E5200 : 2M cache

cmccmc

You may see something like a 1fps increase but L2 cache has no use in emulation. In other applications though you would notice a fairly large difference
E8400 hands down paired with a good mobo great over clockability. See my sig that is my everyday 24/7 clock and can push it upto 4.3ghz on air. As far as Dolphin goes games run great most games with the right settings run 50/60 ish FPS.
thanks chaps .Looks like it's not necessary for myself to upgrade from E5200 to E8400 .... Smile
On what basis do you say that l2 cache doesn't make a difference in Dolphin? Have you benchmarked it?
good question Smile .If anyone can let me know the real world result ,would be many thanks.
Look - notwithstanding Dolphin performance, an E8400 is a magnificent cpu. You'll be getting 6mb l2 cache, 3.0ghz scalable to 4.0. It will make EVERYTHING faster guaranteed.
Yeah, I can also say that E8400 is totally magnificent. If I wasn't afraid of increasing my voltage, I would even get it up to 4,5 Ghz. But it would be really interesting what the real performance increase is.
And just another question: You already overclocked your E5200, did ya? normal frequenz is 2,5 Ghz, so you would surely get an increase in speed from the 500 mhz more of the E8400.
I use a E8500 and I have seen no joke 200fps in places for SMG.
I also bought an E8400 the other week. Damn thing is amazing, managed fullspeed in almost all games (including non dolphin emulated games). But the limitating factor in my rig is my video card 8600gt, it's a bit old now but still kicks some butt.