Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: SSB Melee debug menu stack-smash savefile
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cleaning out my savegames I came across a modified ssbm save that I believe I downloaded sometime in 2007/8 can't remember or locate the source because SSBB's smash stack really overshadows it.
iirc it needs to be ssbm 1.02 ntsc

Anyone else remember the source? anyways thought I'd post it in case anyone is interested.

standard stack smash, by overflowing the player name string buffer to execute code to enable the debug menu

short clip showing the process to use it

start the game, go to vs > name entry, it will reset, go to VS > Melee and the debug menu is shown

[attachment=9737]
Wow, didn't know there were also a save exploit to get debug menu in SSBM. I only got in this menu one time when I was messing with AR Codes...
You just go Dolphin's memory card manager and load it?

Edit: Dolphin doesn't load the file, it says the file doesn't exist and asks to make a new 16 MB memory card. WTF?
assuming that you knew to extract the 7z archive,
go to the dolphin User\GC\ directory and move your original MemoryCardA.USA.raw to another location
place the extracted MemoryCardA.USA.raw in its place.

the memcard manager is only for working with memory card images, it does not affect which file dolphin uses for the memory card

that is an interesting bug, fortunately you don't need the memcard manager for this, but i'll look into the bug

--edit--
looks like the memory card manager will encounter this error if the file is set to read only
(09-20-2013, 04:48 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]assuming that you knew to extract the 7z archive,
go to the dolphin User\GC\ directory and move your original MemoryCardA.USA.raw to another location
place the extracted MemoryCardA.USA.raw in its place.

the memcard manager is only for working with memory card images, it does not affect which file dolphin uses for the memory card

that is an interesting bug, fortunately you don't need the memcard manager for this, but i'll look into the bug

--edit--
looks like the memory card manager will encounter this error if the file is set to read only
Thanks! Okay, the memory card is being detected now, do I need to do something in the game? I noticed there are two saves on the card... what do I once the game is loaded, because the emulator makes a new save...

I mean, is there an actual process to getting the save to work with the game? Dolphin make a new save (unless you delete the one that says "data" and not "hack" then it prompts you to make a new one)?
if it is creating a new save something is wrong.

you may have the wrong location for the save or the wrong region of ssbm
make sure you are using NTSC SSBM version 1.0.2.
which build are you using? recently dolphin switched to a global user dir in My Documents/Dolphin Emulator
when saving it should tell you the location of the memorycard
once the memorycard is in the proper location follow what is done in the video or the steps from the first post
(09-16-2013, 10:07 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]start the game, go to vs > name entry, it will reset, go to VS > Melee and the debug menu is shown
(09-20-2013, 08:03 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]if it is creating a new save something is wrong.

you may have the wrong location for the save or the wrong region of ssbm
make sure you are using NTSC SSBM version 1.0.2.
which build are you using? recently dolphin switched to a global user dir in My Documents/Dolphin Emulator
when saving it should tell you the location of the memorycard
once the memorycard is in the proper location follow what is done in the video or the steps from the first post
(09-16-2013, 10:07 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]start the game, go to vs > name entry, it will reset, go to VS > Melee and the debug menu is shown

I always use NTSC-U versions of games, which I rip to an HDD. I'm using version 3.5-2429 x64 Global User Directory, I backed up the old memory card A and placed the SSBM hack into My Documents/Dolphin Emulator/GC where memory card B is located, so everything should be in the right place. I don't know what version SSBM I have, but the date on the ISO info is 11/14/2001. The Game ID is GALE01, not sure if that helps telling what version it is...? I should note that when I loaded the memory card for the first time, there were two saves, one had a red melee logo (game data) and the other had a yellow melee logo (hack data). Why was there two on the memory card?

Will double check the version I have.
revision is shown in iso properties right above the date, if it is 2 than your file is version 1.02 of the disc.
Why are you using the Memorycard manager? I don't think you
are you moving the saves to a different memory card?
try with the memorycard freshly extracted from the archive,
start the game in dolphin, if it creates a save something is wrong, try to get the memory card in the correct location
once it is started
go directly to VS > name entry if it does not reset back to the title screen something is wrong
go to VS > Melee and you should be at the debug menu
(09-20-2013, 09:25 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]revision is shown in iso properties right above the date, if it is 2 than your file is version 1.02 of the disc.
Why are you using the Memorycard manager? I don't think you
are you moving the saves to a different memory card?
try with the memorycard freshly extracted from the archive,
start the game in dolphin, if it creates a save something is wrong, try to get the memory card in the correct location
once it is started
go directly to VS > name entry if it does not reset back to the title screen something is wrong
go to VS > Melee and you should be at the debug menu

Yep, I do indeed have 1.2, I deleted the memory card, and placed it in the right directory, re-extracted the hack and tried once more. Definitely a PEBKAC error on my part, and now it works like a charm! Thanks again for your help Big Grin Not sure what happened, but now it works!