Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What can I expect with my desktop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Given the fact that my last thread was a proverbial slap to my face Big Grin, what can I expect with my current desktop specs and the build I'm using?

Current build:
Dolphin 3.5-2384 x64

Current settings in Dolphin:
Spoiler:
Now, when I use the XAudio2 API alongside HLE or LLE compilers (not the LLE interpreter), I get full speed. However, it was suggested that I use the OpenAL API with the buffer set to 2. This proved to have some audio crackling on my end. Is there any reason to use LLE over HLE, now that the AX HLE audio code has long since been implemented into the master branch for Dolphin? Are there any major advantages of using one over the other? Not trying to doubt the one who suggested it, it's just that overall, I get better results using HLE + XAudio2 as opposed to LLE compiler + OpenAL + 2. At this point, I'm completely convinced my CPU is clearly in no way within the recommended system requirements, is there anything I can do to get the most out of Dolphin (especially with the AX HLE merge)?

While I certainly don't expect to run The Last Story, Super Mario Galaxy or Xenoblade Chronicles, what settings do you guys recommend for best performance for most Gamecube games? The only Wii game I ever run is Super Smash Bros, the rest I play is Gamecube, so that should make it more flexible. My specs are in the signature Tongue I bet they're pretty pathetic ROFL.

Now, I'm not trying to be super negative, but given the fact I had a bad time running 1080 Avalanche with good audio (my other thread), at the same time, I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

What say you?

Edit: Granted, many games do run full speed....just the audio in some games is laggy despite the games running at full speed.
I think you're being too negative about your hardware. The i5-3570 is actually a very good CPU for Dolphin. Even though it can't OC like an unlocked -K version can, it's pretty high up there in comparison to other CPUs. Like I said in your other thread, you can handle many games just fine; I still suspect some issue beyond your hardware was causing your choppy audio on 1080 Avalanche.

Anyway, do you have any specific games in mind that you want to play? There really isn't a "best configuration" for all games; usually you do it on a game-by-game basis finding what works for you and what doesn't. Most games can probably use the same configuration (example for me, SSBM, TimeSplitters 2, Sonic Adventure 2), but some games require minor changes (usually LLE audio or Internal Resolution and AA for me).
(09-16-2013, 02:09 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]I think you're being too negative about your hardware. The i5-3570 is actually a very good CPU for Dolphin. Even though it can't OC like an unlocked -K version can, it's pretty high up there in comparison to other CPUs. Like I said in your other thread, you can handle many games just fine; I still suspect some issue beyond your hardware was causing your choppy audio on 1080 Avalanche.

Anyway, do you have any specific games in mind that you want to play? There really isn't a "best configuration" for all games; usually you do it on a game-by-game basis finding what works for you and what doesn't. Most games can probably use the same configuration (example for me, SSBM, TimeSplitters 2, Sonic Adventure 2), but some games require minor changes (usually LLE audio or Internal Resolution and AA for me).
I was just annoyed at the whole situation back there (sorry 'bout that Big Grin ) but you're right, I am being a bit unfair about my hardware and what it's capable of. What games do I have in mind? To start off, Sonic Adventure DX and 2, Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl, Bloody Roar, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year-old Door, Wave Race, Mario Kart Wii, maybe F-Zero GX... (though that game is pretty demanding). Games like that, maybe I'll even throw in Star Fox Assault into the mix. As for Avalanche, yeah, that one has me baffled to the extreme ROFL Tongue Something tells me it's not the hardware at fault like you said, but I'll leave that to the other thread. That issue right there is the reason I doubted my desktop's power and wanted validation on what my CPU is truly capable of. Glad to hear it's not on the bottom of the totem pole.

Oh! I do have the OpenMP texture decoder enabled (never had a problem with it on) since it helps with speed somewhat.

Question: A program that's wholly CPU-reliant isn't going to fry my CPU is it? I know, silly question, but I was curious on what emulators do as far as affecting CPUs.
For your list, MK Wii will get more demanding as you add real players (same with Melee and Brawl, but those are light/middle weight games). It's a GPU intensive game in certain spots, but you can easily do 3x IR without slowdown on your GPU. F-Zero GX is a beast on some levels (Sand Ocean) but alright for others on your PC. Just don't expect fullspeed in every scenario with this game; it'll be playable though. The rest should be fine (although I haven't tested Star Fox Assault myself yet). PM:TTYD has graphical issues with the Punies that can only be resolved (mostly) with custom textures atm, but it should run easily on that CPU. Of course, always check the wiki first to see if there are any specific issues for a given game.
(09-16-2013, 02:38 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]For your list, MK Wii will get more demanding as you add real players (same with Melee and Brawl, but those are light/middle weight games). It's a GPU intensive game in certain spots, but you can easily do 3x IR without slowdown on your GPU. F-Zero GX is a beast on some levels (Sand Ocean) but alright for others on your PC. Just don't expect fullspeed in every scenario with this game; it'll be playable though. The rest should be fine (although I haven't tested Star Fox Assault myself yet). PM:TTYD has graphical issues with the Punies that can only be resolved (mostly) with custom textures atm, but it should run easily on that CPU. Of course, always check the wiki first to see if there are any specific issues for a given game.
Glad to hear that I'm not totally left in the dust as far as this machine goes! Thank you for letting me know about this info! I didn't know the CPU was that high in the list, especially after the changes to the AX HLE audio code. Speaking of HLE/LLE, is there really any benefits to using LLE over HLE now that the AX audio has been rewritten as extensively as it has? I know a few games probably requirement and what of the audio API? With OpenAL, I notice some crackling, however, if I turn the buffer up to 10 or something, it removes the crackle, but adds delays in the sound. Right now I'm using the XAudio2 API and I never had an issues with that and the HLE audio. In fact, I've never had HLE cut out on me (which is a given since the code is new).

3x internal resolution? Wow, I guess my GPU is more potent than I thought!

Any suggestions on using HLE over LLE compiler (not interpreter) or OpenAL versus XAudio2? Again, I notice near-perfect audio on with HLE + XAudio2, I personally see no need for LLE compiler or interpreter modes since the merged audio code. I know some games require LLE but the ones I have don't AFAIK. I don't know if I'll ever figure out why 1080's audio is so jacked up.
nintendo_nerd: I'm kind of at a loss here. I always see you posting about games, settings and hardware, I thought you knew this stuff already.
If you don't get audio issues with HLE audio, there's no real advantage to LLE audio, especially if the quality remains the same. I don't run Windows, so I can't speak for XAudio2. In my experience, OpenAL tended to freeze certain games (Tales of Symphonia and Xenoblade Chronicles) so I never used it since ALSA was always perfect. OpenAL timestretches audio to avoid crackling, but as you found out, it adds latency. If you get no issues with XAudio2 and HLE audio, stick with them.

As for IR, 3x is just conservative for GPU intensive games like MK Wii. Many of the others can be set to 4x without issue. My GPU is weaker than yours, but I can do 4x IR in a number of games. Don't be afraid to push the IR and AF as well. Experiment with AA incrementally if you want, but aliasing might not be terribly noticeable at that resolution.
(09-16-2013, 03:08 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]nintendo_nerd: I'm kind of at a loss here. I always see you posting about games, settings and hardware, I thought you knew this stuff already.
I do, the thing is I was getting very frustrated at an issue I have with 1080 Avalanche, as I was trying to figure out why I was getting full speed but effed up audio (I have a thread about that); as a result, I started questioning my PC's hardware capabilities and thought that the system requirements skyrocketed. With the changes to the AX HLE emulation and how much better it is, well, one thing led to another. Sorry about that. I should have explained my uh, uncharacteristically negative attitude. Perhaps I just needed a bit of validation from others Wink

Big Grin

(09-16-2013, 03:09 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't get audio issues with HLE audio, there's no real advantage to LLE audio, especially if the quality remains the same. I don't run Windows, so I can't speak for XAudio2. In my experience, OpenAL tended to freeze certain games (Tales of Symphonia and Xenoblade Chronicles) so I never used it since ALSA was always perfect. OpenAL timestretches audio to avoid crackling, but as you found out, it adds latency. If you get no issues with XAudio2 and HLE audio, stick with them.

As for IR, 3x is just conservative for GPU intensive games like MK Wii. Many of the others can be set to 4x without issue. My GPU is weaker than yours, but I can do 4x IR in a number of games. Don't be afraid to push the IR and AF as well. Experiment with AA incrementally if you want, but aliasing might not be terribly noticeable at that resolution.
Right, thanks again for the info! But yeah, like I said before, I was frustrated about the 1080 issue is all. I should know this stuff, oy vey this is embarrassing Big Grin Big Grin

Realistically, how much does Dolphin really strain the hardware?