Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: image quality settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, everyone
Which backend is good for the best image quality? And which settings are the best on ir,aa,af?

My system:
i5-2500k@3,3GHz
8gb ram
gtx 770 2 GB vram

Im using the latest x64 build of dolphin.
That depends on the backend, but use 16x AF and 3x IR for starters
You can probably take the IR higher than that and throw in some AA too.
Is said only 3x on purpose because I dunno what kind of AA he will be using
I tried direct9. 4x ir, 4x ssaa, 16x af and it works fine but when I set 9xSSAA I get frame drops down to 15.
Should i Use 3x ir, 9xssaa, af 16x or
4x ir, 4xssaa, 16x af?
Max out everything. You should be fine. If it slows down, you can adjust the settings. You can select any back-end. In my experience, it doesn't affect the image quality.

(09-14-2013, 03:07 AM)kucki Wrote: [ -> ]I tried direct9. 4x ir, 4x ssaa, 16x af and it works fine but when I set 9xSSAA I get frame drops down to 15.
Should i Use 3x ir, 9xssaa, af 16x or
4x ir, 4xssaa, 16x af?
In that case, I recommend 3x IR, 9x SSAA, and AF 16x. You can compare the images and use the settings you prefer.
3x IR + 9xSSAA is 81 times the native resolution. Or to be more specific 5760 x 4752 (27.4 megapixels). Even the fastest graphics cards on the market will struggle to run dolphin at such a crazy high resolution on many games. With that card you should be using auto window size + 9xSSAA at the most (I'm assuming your screen resolution is 1920 x 1080). And some games may still get slowdowns with those settings. Back down to 4xSSAA if the game can't handle it.
Since the D3D9 backend's gonna be removed shortly after 4.0 (because it's a) inaccurate because it can't support certain features, b) hard to maintain and nobody wants to maintain it, and c) holding the other backends back because it doesn't support things that would make the other backends faster), I'd recommend using OpenGL or D3D11. OpenGL with "Vertex Streaming Hack" checked can end up being faster than D3D9 on Nvidia GPUs.