Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Sound Stuttering under 60 FPS Please Help!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

eXtremeHUN

I'm using the latest Dolphin version (3.5-2343), but my sound stutters if my FPS goes below 60. It stutters even at 58 and 59 FPS too.
It's very annoying, because I have tried every option but nothing seemed to work.
Then I've tried Dolphin 3.5 which just had no problem "slowing" the sound down, instead of stuttering, by setting the sampling rate to 32 kHz.
As I noticed there is no such option in the current Dolphin releases.
If this option still exists hidden, please let me know where to set this up, because I need all the great new features in the latest Dolphin, but I don't want my sound stutter. Is there any solution for this?
The solution under current builds is to get to 60FPS, either through hardware changes or config changes. Some config changes may entail tradeoffs.

The latest builds emulate the sound of the Wii/GC more precisely at the tradeoff of slower performance.

What are your hardware specs?

What game?

What sound options do you have set?
Post your settings here as screenshots, if possible.
Async audio isn't supported in the current build. Actually, it's a nice feature especially when the FPS just drops to 58-59. It isn't visually noticeable but the audio stuttering is obvious. Anyway, no solution until someone implements this feature properly.

eXtremeHUN

(09-13-2013, 05:37 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]The solution under current builds is to get to 60FPS, either through hardware changes or config changes. Some config changes may entail tradeoffs.

The latest builds emulate the sound of the Wii/GC more precisely at the tradeoff of slower performance.

What are your hardware specs?

What game?

What sound options do you have set?
CPU: i7 MQ-4700
GPU: GT 750M
RAM: 8GB DDR-III

The games are Kirby's Epic Yarn(min. 50 fps), Wii Sports(min. 59 fps), Donkey Kong Country Returns(min. 53 fps).

I've tried DSound, XAudio2 and OpenAL, and all of them are stuttering or lagging...

So these are the differences between the latest and the version 3.5.
3.5 works just fine, but I miss the features....

Anyway, many thanks guys for the replies!
How about your graphics settings? They tend to dictate FPS more than anything, which is the end goal here.
This is supposed to happen. http://blog.delroth.net/2013/07/why-dolp...rocessing/

Async HLE audio was the cause of audio bugs in hundreds of games, even crashes and hangs. It was removed for a reason and it is not coming back. You can either use the OpenAL audio backend which has timestretch (audio doesn't crackle when emulation is below fullspeed); or you can use different settings, overclock your CPU, or buy a better CPU to get 60fps.

Can you show all of your Dolphin settings please? I noticed you were using Dsound. Use Xaudio2 instead. Xaudio2 is faster on Vista/7/8 since it's the primary audio backend for the OSes.

eXtremeHUN

(09-13-2013, 06:16 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]This is supposed to happen. http://blog.delroth.net/2013/07/why-dolp...rocessing/

Async HLE audio was the cause of audio bugs in hundreds of games, even crashes and hangs. It was removed for a reason and it is not coming back. You can either use the OpenAL audio backend which has timestretch (audio doesn't crackle when emulation is below fullspeed); or you can use different settings, overclock your CPU, or buy a better CPU to get 60fps.

Can you show all of your Dolphin settings please? I noticed you were using Dsound. Use Xaudio2 instead. Xaudio2 is faster on Vista/7/8 since it's the primary audio backend for the OSes.
Thanks, I'm using version 3.5 now, with EFB to RAM to solve the Mii-face glitch, and I get the opposite, of what the decription says, what I get is a 5 fps boost, with no sudden drops, and no glitches nor crashes...
So finally my sound works fine even if my fps is below 60 and I can see the emotions on the faces.
If you use latest you can use EFB to Texture and get Mii Faces (except for Wii Sports Resort in D3D9 and OpenGL, it's weird).