Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Installing latest revision on older Ubuntu version?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, everyone! I'm in a hurry right now so I'll make this as brief as possible, I want to install the latest revision of Dolphin on Ubuntu Precise. I always get a dependency error though. Any ideas? The latest version I can install is based on Dolphin 3.0, I'd like to have 3.5 without having to upgrade as I'm using a distro based on Ubuntu and I'm afraid that upgrading would break the OS. Sorry for being vague, I'll edit this post when I come home from work in a few hours. Smile
You should just wait for 4.0 if you don't want to have to upgrade, it will be here in 2 weeks, and there will be a pre-compiled package for it Big Grin
@ExtremeDude2: Dang! Only two weeks for 4.0? Those devs are really going fast!!

@O.P.: You really have a good machine to run Dolphin, but why did you put in your profile that you´re using Windows 7 if you´re using Ubuntu?
Woah! I had no idea 4.0 was coming out! That's awesome! And I'm sorry, oliver, I forgot I had an account here. I went to put in my email and I had an account already, apparently. I just had to remember what alias I had here. I'll get right on that! Smile
(09-12-2013, 06:22 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]You should just wait for 4.0 if you don't want to have to upgrade, it will be here in 2 weeks, and there will be a pre-compiled package for it Big Grin
(09-12-2013, 09:35 AM)LittleBigStereo Wrote: [ -> ]Woah! I had no idea 4.0 was coming out! That's awesome!

Hey, hate to be a downer, but keep in mind that things probably won't go that smoothly. It'll be released as a .deb file like the current development revisions are, but I don't think the Dolphin executable inside is a static binary (could be wrong, don't use Ubuntu). You'll still have to satisfy the libraries needed to run Dolphin. If Percise Pangolin doesn't have the versions of libraries Dolphin requires, you'll have to upgrade to run Dolphin. GLEW comes to mind as something that hasn't been updated in 12.04 but a newer version is required these days, and there are probably others.
(09-12-2013, 12:27 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2013, 06:22 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]You should just wait for 4.0 if you don't want to have to upgrade, it will be here in 2 weeks, and there will be a pre-compiled package for it Big Grin
(09-12-2013, 09:35 AM)LittleBigStereo Wrote: [ -> ]Woah! I had no idea 4.0 was coming out! That's awesome!

Hey, hate to be a downer, but keep in mind that things probably won't go that smoothly. It'll be released as a .deb file like the current development revisions are, but I don't think the Dolphin executable inside is a static binary (could be wrong, don't use Ubuntu). You'll still have to satisfy the libraries needed to run Dolphin. If Percise Pangolin doesn't have the versions of libraries Dolphin requires, you'll have to upgrade to run Dolphin. GLEW comes to mind as something that hasn't been updated in 12.04 but a newer version is required these days, and there are probably others.
That's what I thought, I've been considering going back to Windows 7 because of the fact that only a few of my total number of Steam games and the fact that I only get old versions of emulators on Linux. I've taken a couple performance hits, and even a lack of my steam games due to switching over the past few months and I think it's time to go back. I tend to completely format and try new OS'es every quarter year or so.