Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Don't understand, is it good enough or not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Axetwin

Hi, I'm going to just jump right in here.

A couple days ago I started playing the 64 bit Windows (7) 3.5-367 version of Dolphin. The computer I'm playing on has an AMD FX 8120 8 core 3.1 ghz processor, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 video card.

Everything I've read on the forum says I should be able to run the games without any major problems. Some games (like X-Men Legends) is like playing in slow motion from the start. Others (like Wind Waker) start off great but take a big hit to the FPS (Dragon Roost in WW) after a certain point. One curious thing I noticed is the Wii games I've played have run great.

In anycase, the only problem I can think of is possibly my video card. Oh, before I forget, I did switch from HLE to LLE and it didn't really help except I stopped getting black screen freezes in Wind Waker.

So have I been misreading the threads and my computer isn't good enough to run Gamecube games?
Dolphin is a dual core application . AMD FX 8120 has poor single threaded performance (even worse than its predecessor - Phenom II ) . Therefore , most games won't run well on you system
You can overclock to gain more FPS though ...(Recommend : 400MHz OC or higher)
i5 4670k is the recommended CPU for Dolphin atm
Dolphin CPU Benchmark
Keep in mind that Dolphin becomes more demanding over time and 3.5 - 367 is not official release nor latest release . You should download Dolphin from our official site . Dolphin 3.5 Stable is our official release and it's less demanding than 3.5 367

Axetwin

(09-08-2013, 10:08 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is a dual core application . AMD FX 8120 has poor single threaded performance (even worse than its predecessor - Phenom II ) . Therefore , most games won't run well on you system
You can overclock to gain more FPS though ...(Recommend : 400MHz OC or higher)
i5 4670k is the recommended CPU for Dolphin atm
Dolphin CPU Benchmark
Keep in mind that Dolphin becomes more demanding over time and 3.5 - 367 is not official release nor latest release . You should download Dolphin from our official site . Dolphin 3.5 Stable is our official release and it's less demanding than 3.5 367
If the AMD has such poor performance, then why is it ranked so high in this thread?
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...-hierarchy

In that case there is a second website that promotes this program but isn't offering the most current version on its front page. I assumed that was the official page. I will try the 3.5-2296 version to see if that offers any improvements.
Axetwin Wrote:I will try the 3.5-2296 version to see if that offers any improvements.
admin89 Wrote:Dolphin becomes more demanding over time
Axetwin Wrote:then why is it ranked so high in this thread?
Did you read that thread ?
Quote:Up to date as of August 2012
Category 2: Very Fast
-Intel Core i3
-Intel Pentium (make sure it just says pentium on the box, and nothing else after it)
-AMD FX series
Core i3 and Pentium are craps atm

Edit :
Axetwin Wrote:If the AMD has such poor performance
Poor single threaded performance , not poor performance overall . In fact , FX 8150 kill i5 2400 in multi-threaded benchmark
Multi-threaded benchmark : use all 8 cores 8 threads
Single threaded benchmark : use 1 core 1 thread only
Keep in mind that AMD has to use all 8 cores to compete with 4 cores Intel CPU

Axetwin

I'm not trying to be aggressive. It's just frustrating to have a PC that can run most current gen games on high or near high settings but not able to run 10 year old games because.......reasons.
Because you run a PC game which is fully optimized for your PC . Emulation is not ...On top of that , Dolphin requirement is insane lol . You will need an i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (or i5 2500k @ 5.2GHz) to run the most demanding game full speed

Axetwin

In anycase, I appreciate the quick reply.
You can download the preconfigured Dolphin 3.0 on that benchmark thread . I'm sure Zelda WW will run full speed with that version
If you want to use recent Dolphin version , you can either get a better CPU or overclock your current CPU
This is the type of thing that happens very often here:

1) Person buys an AMD CPU
2) Person has trouble running games fast enough
3) Person tries to compare a PC game to and emulated game
4) Person gets frustrated and says that these Gamecube games are old
5) Person just does't understand how this stuff works
6) Person eventually realizes that he bought the wrong CPU

This will probably help a bit.
(09-08-2013, 10:52 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Because you run a PC game which is fully optimized for your PC . Emulation is not ...On top of that , Dolphin requirement is insane lol . You will need an i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (or i5 2500k @ 5.2GHz) to run the most demanding game full speed
Just out of curiosity, what is the most demanding game in Dolphin?
Pages: 1 2