Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GTX 780 vs. GTX 770
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm going to order my new PC tomorrow, and due to budget questions, I have to ask one thing:

How much (if even?) better will the GTX 780 perform than the GTX 770?
Or, are the additional 250$ worth the performance increase?

I want to play games like SMG 1+2 in 1080p and some AA with a 4670K @ ~4,5 GHz Smile

Thanks in advance,
marfuc
They'll both do the job. What's the price difference between them?
Unless you also play PC games, go for the GTX 770.

Edit: I should probably add that the GTX 780 is obviously faster than a GTX 770, but it's also probably +/- $240 more expensive. Not worth it.
Ok, thanks Big Grin
AFAIK, you could probably max out all of Dolphin's settings on even a GTX 760. Why spend so much for a 770, let alone a 780?
I know, but to be prepared for future PC games, like GTA V (if it comes for PC), I just have to decide between these two cards Smile
It'll be better value to get a 760 now, and then a 860/960 later, which will in all likelihood be cheaper and more powerful than the 780, even though you're buying two cards.
GTX 760 is a lot more than enough for 1080p. I usually play at 3xIR and 4xSSAA. That's like playing at 3840x3168 (the same as 6xIR).

For PC games, the 770 is overpriced, a 60% price increase for what? A 20% performance increase? A highly overclocked 760 will give near the same results as a stock 770.
While I do agree with you comparing a stock card against a heavily overclocked card isn't exactly fair. Most cards except very low end ones can be overclocked enough to match the stock performance of the tier above them. But you can also overclock those higher tier cards to perform even faster so that makes it a moot point. So either compare stock against stock or OC against OC.
Thanks for your answers Wink
I just ordered my PC and went with an EVGA GTX770 ACX Smile
(09-09-2013, 07:22 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]While I do agree with you comparing a stock card against a heavily overclocked card isn't exactly fair. Most cards except very low end ones can be overclocked enough to match the stock performance of the tier above them. But you can also overclock those higher tier cards to perform even faster so that makes it a moot point. So either compare stock against stock or OC against OC.
I know it isn't fair. I was pointing that out in case he says: "I want X fps in one particular game". Maybe with a stock 770 he can get 1.06X, but with an OC 760 he can get 0.95X and save $200.

Now that he bought a 770 there is no point in advising anymore Tongue .
Pages: 1 2