Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Better games reporting system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

it's been a while since I'm thinking about a new way to report games in major emulator like pcsx2, dolphin, ppspp and such.

I don't think it's pretty hard to do. (vs all the other optimization and such things.. but that's the fun part of an emulator... no? xD)

Anyway, here we go.
1- Reporting games compatibility and performance would be done inside dolphin, after exiting a game.
2- The emulator would retrieve the average, median and statistic about fps (Like that: 70% of time, the game is running at 60-55fps, and such)
3- Also together with fps statistic, the emulator would retrieve the configuration used when playing game (some are requiring specific configuration no?) and the computer spec, ahah important part!
5- All these information would be sent to a server and the server would display reports by gameid (and game name, probably alphabetical or the most populaire)
6- Reporter would be able to comment before sending a report.
7- The server could generate information between different report, and then compare average performance. Which allow dev to found quickly regression (since dolphin version is also sent.)

The current wiki is quite hard for average user and I personally think most of them are whiling to report their gaming performance when using dolphin. This allows them do to that quickly and easily.

So yeah, as well as allowing developper to found out regression in a game quickly, it can reduce the number of people that ask if a certain games can run on their system...

So.. what do you think about such a system, I'm sure we can still ameliorate it. (it's just a concept :/)

Have a nice day!
I already have that on my TODO, there are a few problems you are ignoring here:

1. Making a good UI for this is hard.
2. Most reports would be useless because people don't have any idea of how to grade compatibility.
3. FPS could be influenced by so many external factors, it would make our work very hard (stuff like CPU/GPU thermal throttling is hard to detect)
4. This requires adding network code in our wx UI, which nobody wants to do.