Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will SSD improve performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

zaplon

[color=#222222]
[color=#222222]Hi Guys,[/color]
[color=#222222]
[/color]Setting up my first emulator PC. My questions is this: Will storing ROMS on my SSD improve performance over storing them on my external HDD (5400 RPM)? The emulator itself will be stored on the SSD.
[/color]
[color=#222222]
[/color][color=#222222]Also would appreciate comments on the rest of my setup.[/color]
[color=#222222]
[/color][color=#222222]Thinkpad T430s with:[/color]
[color=#222222]-Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)[/color]
[color=#222222]-16GB DDR3[/color]
[color=#222222]-NVIDIA Optimus Graphics (NVS 5200M, 1GB), Intel® Core™ i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)[/color]
[color=#222222]
[/color][color=#222222]Thanks![/color]
[color=#222222]
[/color]
[color=#222222]*EDIT*[/color]
[color=#222222]Running Windows 7 64bit. Have not set up a version of Dolphin yet.Main intention is to play Super Smash Bros Mele and Brawl[/color]
Yes and no. The general performance will be the same. You'll get the same fps. BUT when the emulator needs to access the ISO, it will be instantaneous compared to a normal HDD. For example, Brawl sometimes stutters for half a second to load new effects in the middle of a combat.
If you place your Dolphin folder in the SSD, it will help a lot in case you use HD texture packs.
Save states will save/load significantly faster too!
masterotaku Wrote:If you place your Dolphin folder in the SSD, it will help a lot in case you use HD texture packs.

I highly doubt this. Has this been tested/confirmed?
(09-06-2013, 08:42 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
masterotaku Wrote:If you place your Dolphin folder in the SSD, it will help a lot in case you use HD texture packs.

I highly doubt this. Has this been tested/confirmed?
I don't know (I don't have an SSD). But with Zelda TP and the 3GB texture pack, loading times increased a lot. Example: I loaded my save at Kakariko, then I moved the camera to point at the village and the game became static, waiting for the HDD for 4 or 5 seconds to load textures (the HDD LED was pretty much on all that seconds).

A friend of mine has a SSD and that texture pack. I told him to move Dolphin to his SSD. I'll ask him if that improved something, when I can contact him.