Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I need a tutorial on how to make an online server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HappyBoyJr

Hello, me and my friend want to play some Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Kirby Air Ride, Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventure and all sorts of other GameCube games together with our Dolphin emulators. However, we do not know how to make a server so we can do this.

What I need is a comprehensible, step-by-step tutorial on how to make a Dolphin server. Please give me one, or type out one for me to use.

Also, I have some questions:
-Can we do Co-op campaign games together via Dolphin Emulator online server?
-Can we do vs. mode via Dolphin Emulator online server?
-What exactly do both of us have to do to do this properly?

Thanks, please answer my questions and give a tutorial.
Your terminology is wrong. This isn't kaillera, there isn't a "server". There is a "host" and a "client". It's P2P. Anyway, here's the (in need of updating) netplay guide. Things have been crazy with 4.0 coming and I haven't had the time to update it.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/netplay-guide/
I was originally just gonna post the link that MaJoR forgot, but then I ended up writing a whole explanation and he added the link while I was doing that, so here, have a small wall of writing about Dolphin's netplay.

Dolphin's semi-experimental netplay allows you to play any game over the 'net as if y'all were just sitting next to each other with multiple controllers plugged into one GameCube. As long as the game has some form of local multiplayer, you can play that over netplay. (And even if it doesn't, you can theoretically use this to "stream" a single-player game to a handful of people.)

Dolphin's netplay has several pitfalls that you need to be aware of. Keep in mind that a) many games will desync unless you're using single-core mode, b) single-core mode has *much* higher CPU requirements than dual-core, so if you're barely running the games at full speed, you can just friggin' forget netplay, and c) it's super-easy to screw up all the required setup, and you inevitably will at some point. Before you come back here to ask any questions (especially any along the lines of "why's it desyncing?"), reread the guide *thoroughly* and make sure you're not missing anything in there. Make sure nobody's being an idiot and using the wrong version of Dolphin, using a different memory card file, or aren't using the right (very specific set of) settings. (Notable exception: Mario Party 4. JMC47 has tried so hard to intentionally desync this game, breaking every single one of his own netplay rules, but he hasn't succeeded yet. If everyone's an idiot and you can't wrangle them together to follow the guide correctly, this'll be the only game you can play.)

Most of these issues aren't bugs on Dolphin's part – they're inherent, unavoidable issues in how netplay works on console emulators. If you have any complaints, they're probably not solvable.
Pauldacheez: Aww, I'm no longer in your signature quotes. I'll have to say something even dumber. Also, I need to argue:

Dolphin's netplay shouldn't be considered experimental any more. It works with almost every game (assuming you're willing to use branches for some) and has been simplified immensely.

Anyway, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle: Yes, it plays fine. Kirby Air Ride is another dual core compatible game, will be fine. Four Swords probably won't work because it uses a lot of crazy stuff, like GBAs for controllers. All games using standard controllers will work.
JMC47, don't worry, I've got plenty of quotes from you in my quotebook:

<comex> and i want to play rock band because i have pony customs
<comex> and i have pony customs because i tried it recently
<comex> which i did because they had it at bronycon
<JMC4789> that is the most metal thing I've ever heard
----------
<JMC47> It was poor word choice/comparison on my part
<RachelB> that's not unusual
----------
<JMC47> Ok, I'm apparently really tired, I read paper mario as raper mario

Anyway, back on topic, Four Swords will likely require LLE since it's a Zelda µcode game (at least until someone rewrites the damn Zelda µcode HLE), plus the whole GBA part is fucking ridiculous and won't be possible unless the netplay code starts syncing the data from whatever interface the GBA link cable uses.
----------
(09-03-2013, 09:21 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]<JMC47> It was poor word choice/comparison on my part
<RachelB> that's not unusual
That was not in response to that.
Aww. Well, it does sorta apply to him. >_>