Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wind waker FPS problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TouniZu

I'm not exactly sure if I'm supposed to be posting this here or asking this on someone else's thread, but I was wondering why I can't get a proper FPS on Wind Waker on any settings.

My specs:
AMD FX-6100 3.3Ghz
ASUS HD 7850 Direct CU II
4GB Kingston RAM

and like I said earlier I've tried pretty much all the settings I've been able to think of, I can only make it run properly using DSP HLE, but it keeps crashing so I would like to use DSP LLE.

My Dolphin version is 3.5-2175 x86

Thank you in advance Smile
You can do a couple of things:

1) Try to overclock your system (do your research first, watch your temps and voltages)
2) Use the stable 3.5 version.
3) Post your settings so we can see them.

Also, what FPS are you getting? The crashing on HLE is solvable by the way. See the Dolphin wiki https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...ay_Screens :

Quote:If you are experiencing the "black screen" crash after cutscenes, manually set the FPS limit to Auto or 60. This issue seems to be caused by a rapid FPS jump when the cutscene has finished.

I personally don't recommend using the "Fix Item Hang" patch.

TouniZu

(08-31-2013, 03:06 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You can do a couple of things:

1) Try to overclock your system (do your research first, watch your temps and voltages)
2) Use the stable 3.5 version.
3) Post your settings so we can see them.

Also, what FPS are you getting? The crashing on HLE is solvable by the way. See the Dolphin wiki https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...ay_Screens :
1. I'm still reading up on overclocking, will get back to you on that once I've managed to do it.
2. I just downloaded and tried the stable 3.5 and nothing changed.
3. I'm using the default settings except with DSP LLE, but I've tried many others as well.

My fps drops immediately when the game starts to somewhere between 12 and 25 depending on the situation, inside houses it jumps to 30 but outside it's unbearable.

And yes, the crashing HLE is solvable, by using LLE, hence the requirement for using that instead of the fast HLE.

But can it really be ecause of my hardware? I am aware that emulating Gamecube games is stressful for the computer, but these should still be good enough to get a stable 30fps shouldn't it?
Quote: But can it really be ecause of my hardware? I am aware that emulating Gamecube games is stressful for the computer, but these should still be good enough to get a stable 30fps shouldn't it?
Yes it should.

We have results on a FX 6300 from the Wind Waker Benchmark which is on stock clocks (3.5GHz).
According to benchmarks, the 6300 seems to have a 25% better single-threaded performance than the 6100 according to this source.

In the Wind Waker benchmark, the 6300 gets around:
for save 1: 50FPS
for save 2: 40FPS
for save 3: 67FPS

You should be getting around the following in a perfect scenario (approximately):
for save 1: 37-38FPS
for save 2: 30FPS
for save 3: 50FPS

I don't know what they used to get the 25% difference in performance so this might be way off.

Oh, you're also using a 32-bit OS. Get a 64-bit OS and 64-bit Dolphin and you should reach the numbers above.
When you've done that, please contribute to the Wind Waker Benchmark so we'll have data on your CPU.
TouniZu Wrote:And yes, the crashing HLE is solvable, by using LLE, hence the requirement for using that instead of the fast HLE.

My point was that you don't need to use LLE (although it's the simplest solution). You did read the part I quoted from the wiki right? You can set the Framelimit to 60 or Auto and it should prevent black screen crashes/freezes.
Yeah, wind waker with HLE+sync game to audio worked fine when I played it last time around.
If your PC can manage LLE it's better of course.

Also, on 3.5 stable, wind waker game file (.ini) is hard-set to EFB to RAM and LLE. Not sure how it's set on current builds.
I changed both in the ini (EFB to texture 'true' and HLE-emulation to 'true) and 3.5 stable worked perfect for me, way less demanding.
Use 3.5 and either use HLE audio or LLE with LLE on thread. The former will get you to fullspeed without overclocking but you will of course have to deal with the crashing bug. The latter may require overclocking to get you to fullspeed. Your cpu is way too slow for unthreaded LLE. Overclocking won't fix that.