Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: hp all in one good enough for last story?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
www.bestbuy.com/site/Pavilion+TouchSmart+23%22+Touch-Screen+All-In-One+Computer+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/8998111.p?id=1218968345523&skuId=8998111&st=8998111&cp=1&lp=1

Hey guys. I know everyone hates these n00bish threads but I never have the most money to spend on a high end gaming rig. Basically, my current budget is less than 1000 dollars. I currently have the infamous a10-4600m as my primary computer and dolphin seems to prefer Intel chips heavily. I found this $800 touch smart all in one with a quad core a6 clocked at 3.9ghz base speed. Should I finally be able to enjoy xenogear chronicles or last story with this kind of processor? Any help at all or another suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
(08-30-2013, 04:36 AM)jessman1988 Wrote: [ -> ]Should I finally be able to enjoy xenoblade chronicles or last story with this kind of processor?

Both games will probably be playable but don't expect full-speed or close to
Desktops are recommended

(08-30-2013, 04:36 AM)jessman1988 Wrote: [ -> ]dolphin seems to prefer Intel chips heavily.

Everything does Rolleyes (unless it uses 8+ cores)
Why would you buy a touchscreen all-in-one? For the exact same amount of money you could build or buy a conventional desktop that runs your software much better (including dolphin).
This is why I'm asking for help. Thanks for the replies. I've just been a laptop guy for so long. I'm not the type to build a custom machine. Is there a specific desktop build you guys could suggest? I just want a decent desktop that has close to ideal specs for dolphin emulation. All I've been able to find is like 1300 dollars and I'm shooting for the best for around 800-1000 tops. Sorry for being such a nitwit.
jessman1988 Wrote:I'm not the type to build a custom machine.

Why not?
(08-30-2013, 06:21 AM)jessman1988 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a specific desktop build you guys could suggest?

CPU is the most important parameter. For Dolphin the best choice is currently 4670K. Alternatively 3570K is still a good choice Big Grin
Well, a 4770K @ 4.7 GHz is powerful enough to almost get full speed all the time in Twilight Princess with LLE, DSP to RAM, DX11, and whatever other settings you need for the best accuracy in Hyrule Field. An A6-6400K might run about half that speed (based on single threaded benchmarks online) If you're serious about getting a good machine for Dolphin, get an i5-4670K and overclock it. If you're really serious, delid the CPU, and get a really good CPU cooler so you can get a better overclock.

Is there a general cookie-cutter PC build on the forums somewhere for a good Dolphin computer? Either way here's an inexpensive, yet powerful build for Dolphin. You could configure it how you like, but this is an example of what a good machine for Dolphin might cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($73.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($138.53 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $755.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-29 17:25 EDT-0400)
Wow. Thank you so much. That's exactly what i was looking for...And less than I expect to spend. Smile I'm good with software but I just seem to mess things up whenever I deal with hardware...even on the smallest scale. I do have a buddy who loves to build custom machines so maybe I'll go this route if he's willing to help me build it. I know that overclocking a reaching over 4ghz is required to get full speed on some games, and my current machine barely handles ps2 games at full speed, so it's gotta be better to have more power instead of not enough. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me figure this out.
Criticism time!

A single memory module? That's a really bad idea. He'll be forced to run his memory in single channel mode.

Why micro-atx? That will restrict airflow, limit his hardware choices, and limit his potential to OC. And he hasn't specified that size is a concern.

You should also ask him if he has a HDD from an existing desktop that he can reuse to save money.

That PSU is barely sufficient. It will limit his potential to overclock and upgrade with beefier parts in the future. Considering 550 watt units cost barely more I would advice him to bump that up a bit.
Pages: 1 2