Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OC'ed Athlon X4 760K vs Pentium G2130?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sowkloss

Hello.

I just wanted to know, building my first PC and having not owned one before, which one of these would be better for Dolphin?

I may end up buying GC/Wii games just for Dolphin, so let's say that I'll be playing demanding-ish games.

I plan on overclocking the 760K to around 4.2-4.45GHZ if necessary (stock speed is 3.8GHZ). I don't think the 760K has been released in the States just yet, so it should be enough to call it an A10-6700 with no IGP.

They are almost the same price here BTW:

Pentium G2130: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BX80637G2130-Pro...ords=G2130
Athlon X4 760K: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Processor-AD760k...words=760K

I will probably enable LLE audio for most games.

Specs (substitute CPU and compatible motherboard)
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Sowkloss/saved/

Thanks in advance.
Those chips will not run LLE? For intell you need a sandy,ivy, or haswell.( I retract this state as NaturalViolence pointed out, it is ivy. ) For AMD you are going to need the new steam roller and even that I here is not perfected yet as its not out (cleared up my point) . Also for LLE its best to enable use on thread so a 3rd core is helpful. Being you plan to over clock and the use of a 3rd core would help, I'd go Athlon X4 760K in this particular example if that is all the options I had. If it were me I'd spend the extra cash on a sandy 2500k and OC that on a nice board ( 7zz extreem4 ). Though I understand you have cost restraints.
FYI, on current dev builds LLE isn't necessary for 99% of games. Unfortunately, the 1% of exceptions happen to all be first-party Nintendo titles. v_v
@Sowkloss

At stock the G2010 will perform better. With a 4.2GHz overclock they will perform the same. With a 4.45GHz overclock the athlon x4 will perform better. In any case they will perform very close to each other.

I would go with the athlon x4. Mainly since it's quad core. If you use LLE on thread in dolphin or other applications that use more than 2 cores it will automatically become the faster of the two.

Why does your build only have one memory module (ram stick)?

ulao Wrote:Those chips will not run LLE?

Yes they will.

ulao Wrote:For intell you need a sandy,ivy, or haswell.

The G2130 is an ivy bridge cpu. Which you would know if you had bothered to click on the product link he provided before posting.

ulao Wrote:For AMD you need the new steam roller and even that I here is not perfected yet.

Steamroller isn't even out yet so we have no idea how it will perform. Current AMD cpus can run LLE just fine in some games. It just depends on the game.
I did click the link but have to admit I didnt see it mentioned when I did. Also I have had amd chips clocked to near 4.3 in the past but LLE did run well for me, possibly it was the games. From what I have read, the guides here on the forums suggest, and from my own experiences you want near 100% emulation before enabling LLE. AMDs just dont run many games that well. Perhaps its just my games of choice. Anyways I still agree with the additional core being the best option for the two listed but having the intel with greater then 2 cores ( no need for more then 4 ) makes a lot of difference in my experience.

Sowkloss

(08-30-2013, 03:16 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Why does your build only have one memory module (ram stick)?
I plan to upgrade to 8GB in the future. The motherboard also only has 2 memory slots, so the second slot will be occupied by the second 4GB stick.
But with only one memory module you'll be running in single channel mode. Which may reduce your performance in a number of applications. I would advise against this idea.
If you haven't noticed its a bad time to buy RAM.
It usually is. RAM prices fluctuate like crazy. It's still cheap as hell compared to a few years ago. The extra $20-30 is going to make a big difference when you're spending hundreds of dollars on the mobo/cpu. So using single channel until prices come down isn't really a wise decision.

@Sowkloss
Either get a 2 x 2GB kit or 2 x 4GB kit depending on how much money you want to spend.