Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: zelda wind waker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello I want to ask you guys something. My problem is that I can play that game only in 2.5x internal resolution with dx9.

Do I need a more powerful videocard?

I was thinking of getting a new one maybe the gtx 770 what do you guys think?
(08-26-2013, 11:55 PM)64DD Wrote: [ -> ]Hello I want to ask you guys something. My problem is that I can play that game only in 2.5x internal resolution with dx9.

That's way too low. You should at least be able to do 4x IR without slowing down (using no AA). Are you using SSAA at all? If so, 4x or 9x?

64DD Wrote:Do I need a more powerful videocard?

Only if you want to play in higher resolutions without slowing down. If you're using any form of SSAA at 2.5x IR, your image quality is going to be greater than that of 4x IR, so it might not even be worth upgrading.

64DD Wrote:I was thinking of getting a new one maybe the gtx 770 what do you guys think?

A GTX 770 seems overkill unless you want to run games at insanely high resolutions and copious amounts of AA. What resolution do you want to play Wind Waker at and with what level of AA?
Im using 1920x1080 resolution, 9x SSAA. And I would like to play without any problems everything maxed out.
So Im fine with the gtx 770?
(08-27-2013, 01:40 AM)64DD Wrote: [ -> ]So Im fine with the gtx 770?

Yes
(08-27-2013, 01:40 AM)64DD Wrote: [ -> ]Im using 1920x1080 resolution, 9x SSAA. And I would like to play without any problems everything maxed out.
So Im fine with the gtx 770?

You realize that 3x IR or 4x IR + 9x SSAA is ridiculous right? Because of the way SSAA works, that's the equivalent to 9x IR and 12x IR respectively in terms of image quality. Once you start hitting such high resolutions past your display's resolution, you're less and less likely to perceive any differences. If you have ~$400 to spend and the GTX 770 won't be exclusively used for Dolphin (or if you have/plan to have a 4K display or something), go ahead. If not, you're paying an awful lot just for being able to max out some settings in Dolphin.

EDIT: Btw, 2.5x IR + 9xSSAA yields the same image quality as 7.5x IR, so you should decide if this is enough level of detail for you before purchasing a new GPU.
I dont buy a new gpu just for dolphin, I would also like to play upcoming games like bf4,gta5 atleast max settings with or without aa.
And I also play on a 2560x1660 monitor (my tv) so I think it's worth it.
(08-27-2013, 03:32 AM)64DD Wrote: [ -> ]I dont buy a new gpu just for dolphin, I would also like to play upcoming games like bf4,gta5 atleast max settings with or without aa.
And I also play on a 2560x1660 monitor (my tv) so I think it's worth it.

Your GPU can already handle the demands of 7.5x IR (4800 x 3960), so in Dolphin it won't have any trouble playing on your TV if you set your IR to Windows Size. This also is discounting any AA, which would probably be unnecessary for most people at that resolution. Obviously that'll be nothing for the GTX 770.

I'm not a PC gamer, but you should do some research on benchmarks for these games on various GPUs just to make sure any current product can handle what you want (e.g. decide if you should wait until newer products come out). Just did a quick search on Google myself: https://www.google.com/search?q=GTX+770+benchmark I guess the most relevant ones would be these two links (Tom's Hardware and Maximum PC):

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-...22810.html
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/ge...benchmarks
Just one more question does internal resolution need any cpu high requirements? i got an i5-2500k with 3,3GHz.
IR and AA are entirely handled by the GPU. Unless your CPU bottlenecks Dolphin, it won't affect the GPU thread. As long as your GPU has enough power, you can keep raising IR and AA without bottlenecking performance and losing FPS.