Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: which is better for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I already have a desktop with i5 4670k at 3.8ghz. But for my laptop im upgrading the processor and I want to know what is better for dolphin. I currently have a Athlon ii p320 2.1ghz and it runs games at a playable speed. but I want to get the amd phenom ii x4 x940 be @2.4ghz or the amd phenom ii x640 be @3.2 ghz. I want to get the x940 because its a quad core and it had a higher benchmark score. x940 had 2900 and x640 had 2169. but the x640 has a higher clock of 3.2ghz. which do you think is better for dolphin and will run it faster.
(08-26-2013, 01:03 AM)xxballerxx54 Wrote: [ -> ]I want to get the amd phenom ii x4 x940 be @3.0 ghz or the amd athlon ii x4 640 be @3.0 ghz

I guess this is what you meant.

940 is faster than 640 (but not that much). In both cases you won't be able to use Dolphin at its best
The x640 BE would be much better suited for dolphin. Dolphin only uses 2 cores anyways so having a quad core cpu doesn't make much of a difference. The x640 has a much higher clock rate and twice the L2 cache size per core.

I'm guessing that the benchmark you're referring to is passmark? Don't use passmark. It's a terrible benchmark to use to compare against applications like dolphin with completely different workloads.

Please benchmark your current laptop here before upgrading it if you can: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark

Your current cpu is fairly rare and has some unique properties (64 bit FPU in an otherwise mostly 10H core). I would very much like to see how these properties effect dolphins performance. If you do this I can even tell you how much of a speedup you'll see before you install the new cpu.
(08-26-2013, 06:46 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]The x640 BE would be much better suited for dolphin. Dolphin only uses 2 cores anyways so having a quad core cpu doesn't make much of a difference. The x640 has a much higher clock rate and twice the L2 cache size per core.

I'm guessing that the benchmark you're referring to is passmark? Don't use passmark. It's a terrible benchmark to use to compare against applications like dolphin with completely different workloads.

Please benchmark your current laptop here before upgrading it if you can: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark

Your current cpu is fairly rare and has some unique properties (64 bit FPU in an otherwise mostly 10H core). I would very much like to see how these properties effect dolphins performance. If you do this I can even tell you how much of a speedup you'll see before you install the new cpu.
So I should get the amd phenom ii x640 be.

So should I get the amd phenom ii x640 @3.2ghz and maybe try to overclock lol.
Yes. And please try to quote properly next time.
(08-28-2013, 08:19 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. And please try to quote properly next time.
ok lol