Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I am buying a new computer and I have always wanted to use Dolphin, but I have never had a fast enough computer. I am wanting to know if this is fast enough to play gamecube games such as Wind Waker or even Wii games . . .

Here are the specs:
AMD FX 8350 8 core 4.0 - 4.2 ghz
16GB of RAM
HD 7850 2GB
GPU and RAM are more than enough to run games; what is going to probably kill you is the CPU since Dolphin doesn´t work well on AMD processors. Confused

Edit: to make things clear, I didn´t say you will not run any game, it´s just that some of them won´t run at full-speed in most of the cases.
So, will I even be able to play Wind Waker at full settings or no? \:
BTW thanks for the answer, i'll have you know this is the 3rd emulator site i've been to, but this time i've received an answer.
Full settings, no. Acceptable speeds, maybe/yes.

But I better recommend you to take a look to the Wind Waker CPU benchmark some guys have made. It may help you a lot.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...+benchmark
Wind waker will run at fullspeed. It's a lightweight game and the fx-8350 can easily hit 150-300% speed according to the benchmark he cited.

Oliver please take the time to read the benchmark entry before you make a claim like that.
Thanks for the additional information, I'm guessing If I can play at 150-300% speed I can probably play some Wii games as well?
@XtracterX: Almost all of them. Will have drops but almost all of them.

ADD: Wich Wii games are you planning to play exactly?

@NaturalViolence: Right now I´m taking a look at the W.W. benchmark.
Ok, let's see, I plan on playing Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, and maybe Animal Crossing. Those are the only ones i'm interested in for now, but I'm pretty sure it can run those (I hope)...
Mario Galaxy is one of the most demanding Wii games, and as it needs LLE audio, if it doesn't run at full speed it will sound horrible. You're going to need an overclocked i5 for that.
Skyward sword might not run at fullspeed. But if not fullspeed close to it. Animal crossing will definitely run at fullspeed.
Pages: 1 2