Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Crash Upon Game Load
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

zacmanman

For a while Dolphin would work just fine. Load any game, any way, from any drive. The games ran flawlessly. It was fantastic.

At some point, after I had messed with the settings a little, Dolphin would no longer load Wii games. The first time it did this was when I changed the DSP plugin from HLE to LLE. I changed it back, but that didn't fix anything. I can still load up and play GameCube games, as far as I am aware, but Wii games, any Wii game with any settings, will not boot. The whole scenario is very unnerving. I have done my best to reset every setting back to its original place without any results.

I am on Arch Linux, so I clone and built the latest git version just about every day through the Arch User Repositor. In Arch's official community repository there is a much older version of Dolphin 3.5 (I think it's 3.5-6, but it could be wrong and I could be wrong, I haven't really checked. The AUR version is listed wrong, although it clones from git, so it's always the latest.) When I replace my latest install with the older version in Arch's official repos, Wii games start to work again. I wouldn't mind using this older version, and I accept that it's older and some issues don't exist anymore, but it lacks many features and I like some of those new bells and whistles.

When I use the older version of Dolphin, an error window show: "iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile." I've looked up this error, and I don't think it's a problem with Dolphin itself, but I think it could be indicative of an issue I created. I think there is something wrong with my settings file, but my issue is that I'm not totally sure where it is. I thought I found it and deleted it, but all of the settings stayed the same, so then I deleted everything and that both solved and changed nothing. I might be right, but I'm probably totally wrong.

I am using Arch Linux x86_64 and I'll list my specs (if they're needed):
Core i5 750
Nvidia GTX 460
Corsair DDR3 RAM, 4GB

My OS itself has no version number, in case anyone asks. Arch Linux is a rolling release platform, which means it is always up-to-date, in the same way Dolphin is developed (except it's an OS and not an emulator.)
Have you tried running the latest revision from the command-line, or have you tried grabbing its standard output? It might provide you with some clue as to what's the issue.

Also, can you post your Dolphin settings (from the latest revisions that crash) as screenshots? Lastly, which Wii games have you tried playing.

zacmanman

I have run Dolphin from the command line and it actually manages to give me no information. It tells me that it aborts and creates a dump, but it doesn't tell me where or what it is named. As far as I can tell, there is no verbose command, so the command line gives me no more information.

I have tried playing just about every Wii game I can get my hands on, but specifically the ones I have (and I've tried them all) are:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Wii Sports
Mario Cart Wii
The Conduit
Kirby Dreamland Collection
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Family Party 30 Great Games

I'm pretty sure that's all of them. If I move from the git version, to the old version in the Arch Repo, and then reclone and rebuilt the git version I can manage to play one or two games, for any length of time with no isolated issues (flawless, really) before Dolphin stops loading games. I will be clear, once Dolphin stops loading Wii games it doesn't get to any part of the game and it gives no error message. I click the file, a second window opens, displays nothing, and Dolphin closes without warning.

I had to reinstall and test the latest build, and it does crash with these settings.

EDIT: Running dolphin from Terminal gives me this output

[zac@localhost ~]$ dolphin-emu
39:58:799 /tmp/yaourt-tmp-zac/aur-dolphin-emu-git/src/dolphin-emu/Source/Core/Core/Src/ConfigManager.cpp:140 N[BOOT]: Saving settings to /home/zac/.dolphin-emu/Config/Dolphin.ini
Aborted (core dumped)

Yaourt is the name of my AUR tool, which isn't the standard Package Manager that Arch is known for (which is called Pacman). AUR isn't officially supported, so a tool like Yaourt must be used. So that's why that word is in the file address, everything else is greek to me. Also, I did find the config file using that bit of information and deleted it, but that solved nothing (like usual.)
Try deleting ~/.dolphin-emu/Wii/shared2/sys/SYSCONF. If this file's corrupt or missing, all Wii games segfault (or something like that) on launch; Dolphin regenerates it if it's missing.

zacmanman

(08-23-2013, 05:15 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Try deleting ~/.dolphin-emu/Wii/shared2/sys/SYSCONF. If this file's corrupt or missing, all Wii games segfault (or something like that) on launch; Dolphin regenerates it if it's missing.
The good news is that I did that. The bad news is that it didn't work.

EDIT: I take back what I said, I actually didn't do that. I have now done it and it actually worked, except it either becomes corrupt every time I change a setting or just does so at random, because I have to delete it every time I've changed anything in my DSP settings. This solves my problem, but introduces the other issues I've had with the most current versions of Dolphin that have nothing to do with the origin of this thread.