Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Amd FX 8350 / 2x AMD Radeon HD 6970
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Should I be able to use dolphin with 100% speed with an AMD fx 8350 and 2 amd radeon hd 6970 graphics cards in crossfire?
I have good water cooling and a good overclocking motherboard, so I can overclock.

Ps. If that is not good enough, I have a dell that has an Intel i7 860 and AMD radeon hd 5770 would that be any better for dolphin?
(08-20-2013, 11:33 PM)Kansasboy001 Wrote: [ -> ]Should I be able to use dolphin with 100% speed with an AMD fx 8350

Not all games. I'm talking about the most demanding ones here.

(08-20-2013, 11:33 PM)Kansasboy001 Wrote: [ -> ]2 amd radeon hd 6970 graphics cards in crossfire?

It's useless with Dolphin.

(08-20-2013, 11:33 PM)Kansasboy001 Wrote: [ -> ]If that is not good enough, I have a dell that has an Intel i7 860 and AMD radeon hd 5770 would that be any better for dolphin?

As I said in your other thread you'll have to overclock your 860 first
What if I overclocked my fx?
For the money that thing cost you you could've easily bought a i5 4670k, which would've been MUCH faster.

Overclocking that fx sure might bring some FPS, 100% in all games isn't possible with any processor but Dolphin usually performes better on a Intel CPU.
For some or the other things that I do the fx is much better then the i5.
Probably. But Dolphin is a black sheep Tongue
(08-21-2013, 12:46 AM)Kansasboy001 Wrote: [ -> ]For some or the other things that I do the fx is much better then the i5.
I'm not sure you mean much. I think you mean enough to seem like a good idea when you bought it, though. When both overclocked as high as they'd go on any given cooling system, the i5 has the FX beat in pretty much any application, or at least ties.
The FX will only be better in heavy multi-threaded applications
AnyOldName3, I do video/ audio editing and those applications are heavily multi threaded, as well as I some times need multiple multi threaded programs open at once, where the high clockspeec and 8 cores come in handy.
With both at stock the i7 rig is still slightly faster for dolphin despite being much older.

With both overclocked by 25% (about the maximum overclock for both) the i7 rig is still slightly faster.

Stock i7 860 against an overclocked fx 8350 is the only way that the fx will beat it.

As others have said if you want to build a new rig that runs dolphin well an i5 4670K is strongly recommended. It will be 40% faster than the fx 8350 in dolphin and only 10% slower at the most in heavily multithreaded applications (in most heavily multithreaded applications is can actually tie with the fx 8350).
Pages: 1 2