Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this processor manage some GC games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be running a machine with an i7-4650U haswell ULT processor
turbo boost up to 3.3Ghz, but this will be throttled without the use of something like throttlestop (not sure I'll use it, wary of overheating).

I only intend to casually play some gamecube games like Wind Waker and Baten Kaitos.
Graphics I'll just see how much above 1x IR I can go, it's not much of a worry.

I believe this should do on a build like 3.5, on recent builds though will I be able to play ~lightweight games with this set-up, keeping new ax-hle audio synced and all that?

Thank you.
It should be fine for wind waker and baten kaitos.
You should run the Wind Waker Benchmark if you can, we need more haswell processors tested.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
Quote:It should be fine for wind waker and baten kaitos.
Thanks.

(08-21-2013, 03:55 PM)werewolfyman Wrote: [ -> ]You should run the Wind Waker Benchmark if you can, we need more haswell processors tested.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
I should do that sometime, sure thing.
Update: the ultrabook laptop arrived. I was going to return it if it couldn't handle what I had in mind.

With the latest development build at this time (3.5-2152), things don't go as desired,
with new-hle there's noticeable audio stutter or artifacts as soon as the FPS isn't at 100%,
which is... generally the case. These newest build seems really accurate and really demanding.

I then tried 3.5, thinking it should be better, but keeping in mind the wiki for baten kaitos says new-hle improves audio.
I didn't like the sound of glitchy audio, but to my surprise:
while the newest builds have trouble keeping speed with new-hle, 3.5 stable works fine (with these lightweight games) even with LLE

To sum up, I can play what I want with no real slowdowns, good audio and with good graphical settings to boot. I'm keeping the laptop.
I'll be benchmarking momentarily (it's an 11'' macbook air 2013).
A macbook air is not an ultrabook. They're similar but they're not the same thing.

Glad you got it working.
Little update, I don't know exactly what's changed in recent builds,
but I tried 3.5-2259 and with OpenGL vertex streaming, it performs about the same as on 3.5 stable. Really nice!
Maybe the 3.5-2152 build I tried before was particularly slow, but it looks like the 4.0 release is going to be awesome if current performance is any indication.