Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Custom resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are currently the most common fullscreen resolutions available in Dolphin, but intel graphics aren't always the best so can you add custom resolutions to the list like 1152x648 and others? to get more performance while still keeping a decent resolution?
The internal resolution is the resolution that the game is actually rendered at and therefore determines performance. The output resolution has no effect on that unless you have IR set to auto (window size). We had an option for custom IR briefly (in a separate branch) but it was removed because nobody could figure out how to add it to the GUI in an unobtrusive way. You have plenty of IR options though. For your GPU 1x, 1.5x, and 2x would be ideal depending on the game. Some games are less demanding on the GPU than others so you'll be able to run them with a higher IR than other games.
Actually, I do have it set to auto, because my monitor smooths out the image so an ir of the same resolution wouldn't look as nice.
Auto window size or auto interval?
Are you running it in windowed or fullscreen mode?

I have no idea what you're trying to say with the second half of your sentence. An IR of the same resolution as what? If you're talking about matching the IR to your output resolution you're already doing that. Are you saying you prefer to use a lower output resolution because your monitor upscales better than dolphin does?
I'd really like a custom setting for internal resolution as well, but because of the opposite reason as the OP.

When I take screenshots I aim to achieve the highest quality possible. Currently, the way I do that is by setting my monitor resolution to 4k, setting IR to Auto (Window Size) and then popping the game into fullscreen so that I can take 4k screenshots.

It would be ideal if we could set the internal resolution manually (even if only through actually editing Dolphins graphics settings INI file) so that I could, for example, render at 5120 x 2880; display at 3840x2160; and then if need be resize to 1920x1080 to share online and have the end result be an image with perfect IQ and zero aliasing.
I'm using auto window size because my monitor does scale the image better that dolphin (makes it blurrier to make it look smoother)
Well you have two options then.

1. Use a low IR and adjust the IR manually while also keeping your fullscreen output resolution low to let your monitor do the scaling.
2. Manually add a custom resolution to your drivers through your driver control panel. Dolphin retrieves a list of supported resolutions from your drivers when it generates the drop down list for your output resolution choices.

I can promise you the dolphin devs aren't going to want to add even more code complexity and GUI options just to give custom output resolution support when there are already dozens of choices at every major AR.

@Alo81
I believe we already have builds that can set IR manually through the .ini files. Custom-efb-scales branch. I'm not sure if it was ever merged into the master branch and if it was ever taken out. I never paid attention to that feature but I'm sure one of the devs will stop by and remind me.
It's still living on a branch.
Found a weird but great performance glitch in Dolphin. before I start the game, I set the internal resolution to 1x. Then after the game has started, I alt-tab to the main dolphin window and change the IR to auto (window size) and even at max resolution of my monitor (768p), I get perfectly smooth performance. Weird, because in the end, I'm getting the graphics I want without the performance impact. I wish this emulator has SMAA anti aliasing because my computer is not good enough for the older anti aliasing methods. SMAA looks better than FXAA but the performance impact is still minimal.
That's because you didn't actually change the IR to auto. It's a bug.

If you want SMAA just use an injector.
Pages: 1 2