Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Cant get Netplay to work properly no matter what.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sure a lot of other people are having this issue but no matter what I do I can't seem to get netplay to work properly at even a semi-playable state. I've already went through a majority of solutions on the forums, and nothing has worked. Even using all the settings that Dolphin says all emulators should be using for netplay. We've also tried other settings but none worked. Our ping to each other is 15 so I wouldn't think internet could be an issue. So I guess, is my computer even capable of hosting gamecube games online? Also the person I've been testing netplay with has a fairly similar pc to mine, only with minor differences.

My specs:
Operating System:Windows 7 64-Bit
Processor/CPU:AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.01GHz
Video Card/GPU:AMD Radeon HD 7800
Memory/RAM:8GB DDR3
Dolphin Revision Currently Using:Dolphin 3.5-1833
It would help if you gave more details than just "it doesn't work".
Sorry, basically what I mean is, it's works... but is not even semi-playable. Once I click "start game" The windows come up for us, but the emulator speed drops to 10-30%.
(08-20-2013, 11:03 AM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]It would help if you gave more details than just "it doesn't work".
Woops, accidentally replied to the main thread, my bad.
Futzing with the pad buffer might help. Increasing it increases the input lag, but it increases the time Dolphin can wait in between pings without being stuck idle temporarily.

If all else fails, you're probably just gonna both need to swap out those AMD chips for a Z87 motherboard and an i5-4670K. AMD's chips are in no way designed for a single-threaded task like this, with their eight cores and painfully-low IPC count compared to Intel's chips right now, regardless of anyone's brand preference.
Okay, so basically it works just fine?
(08-20-2013, 12:25 PM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Futzing with the pad buffer might help. Increasing it increases the input lag, but it increases the time Dolphin can wait in between pings without being stuck idle temporarily.

If all else fails, you're probably just gonna both need to swap out those AMD chips for a Z87 motherboard and an i5-4670K. AMD's chips are in no way designed for a single-threaded task like this, with their eight cores and painfully-low IPC count compared to Intel's chips right now, regardless of anyone's brand preference.
We've already tried changing the pad buffer higher, sadly when we've tried it, there isn't even a notable difference when changing the pad. Performance would increase (at the very most) only by 1-2%. It didn't make much of a difference. The emulator performs fine running on a single thread when not using netplay, but is it too intensive for my CPU to handle with netplay? I wouldn't think that would be the case cause even when my friends have tested themselves (One uses a Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz and the other uses Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz ) Not even they could get it to work at moderate speed.
You haven't said which game you are playing or what settings you are playing it with. It sounds like you're just running something very demanding in single core mode.
(08-21-2013, 01:52 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]You haven't said which game you are playing or what settings you are playing it with. It sounds like you're just running something very demanding in single core mode.
We have been testing netplay with multiple games to see if we can manage to get any working at a playable speed. But the main games we've been testing were "Super Smash Bros: Melee, Mario Party 5, Super Mario Strikers, and Worms 3D" (I think Worms may be a problem anyway since you have to share one controller). We've been using these games as tests for netplay just cause we figure they might easier to run than for example an open-world games like Kirby's Air Ride or Starfox: Assault. But anyway, our settings for all Dolphin emulators have consisted of Duel-Core being off, Audio Throttle off, all Backend set to Direct3D9 (depricated), DSP-HLE with No Audio Output, Frame Limit Set to either No Limit or Auto (we've been going back and forth on this setting), No Memory Card, and controllers set from 2-3 (dependent how any people were present during our cracks at netplay), as well as all users using Dolphin 3.5-1833. And I think it goes without saying that my port for the Dolphin Emu has been forwarded.