Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on Linux - has anyone tried?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to run Dolphin on Linux Mint/Ubuntu and would like to know the success rate of the same.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get things working.
I installed Dolphin Ubuntu version a few days back and when I try to start any games, I get one of the following situations:
either I get a blank screen or flashes (I can hear the sounds) or I get a message saying, "SetupWiiMem: Can't find setting file" followed by, "Exception handler - access below memory space 0000000000000001" which again is followed by, "BackPatch failed to disassemble MOV instruction Error encountered accessing emulated address 00000001. Culprit instruction : add byte ptr ds;[rax],al at 0x41b14065" and the messages continue and continue till I have to close Dolphin from the System Monitor"

Would really appreciate some help on this, pls.

Thanks in anticipation.
I've been using Dolphin on Linux for like 2 years now. I'm still surprised by how smooth it runs without issues and that feature parity with the Windows build is more or less 1:1 (except for obvious things like D3D9/11).

Anyway, how are you installing Dolphin? Are you using Ubuntu/Mint repositories? Maybe I don't like Debian systems (actually, I really don't) but I really wouldn't use their repositories for Dolphin, at least not of you want the latest revisions. I highly recommend you either build Dolphin from source yourself (see the Google Code page for Dolphin, check the Wiki section for build instructions) or download .deb files directly from http://dolphin-emu.org/download
Thanks Shonumi,

I downloaded the .deb file from http://dolphin-emu.org/download and installed it using the normal GDebi Package Installer
More importend is which gpu driver are you using? Nvidia GPU should run as fast as on windows, but only with the close sourced driver, nouveau works on mesa-9.1.6, but it's slow as hell. On AMD, both the closed and the open source driver should work fine, but both are slower than on windows.
(08-18-2013, 06:22 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]More importend is which gpu driver are you using? Nvidia GPU should run as fast as on windows, but only with the close sourced driver, nouveau works on mesa-9.1.6, but it's slow as hell. On AMD, both the closed and the open source driver should work fine, but both are slower than on windows.
Here's a snapshot of what's the current driver:
[attachment=9650]
So switch to nvidia instead of nouveau :-P
I'm not sure, but Dolphin in Ubuntu seems a bit slower than on Windows. My laptop has nVidia Optimus, so, I can't directly install the proprietary nVidia driver (unless I want messing the GUI and leaving the system working only from the CLI interface). What I did was installing bumblebee with the proprietary nVidia driver (bumblebee-nvidia), and run Dolphin through console using optirun dolphin-emu (so, Dolphin uses the nVidia card). Everything works properly (as in windows), but the OpenGL backend seems to be a little slower in Linux than in Windows, probably because the whole bumblebee thing...
Yeah, optirun is much slower than optimus on windows, but the real optimus support should be finished in less than a year :-)
btw, I hope you use primusrun instead of optirun as it's much faster (but still slower than windows)
The problem really doesn' t seem to be about speed; as I've described in my first post above, it's more to do with things not starting up.

Degasus, I did try to shift to the Nvidia driver from the Noveau, but now I get some error to do with " ice" everytime I try to log into my Linux user a/c (will have to figure out how to get back to nouveau).

I'm really not sure what optirun and optimus are.
An update:

I managed to solve the ice error and can log into my Linux user a/c.

Now with the Nvidia driver I can load Gamecube games, but any Wii games still end up with a message saying, "SetupWiiMem: Can't find setting file" followed by, "Exception handler - access below memory space 0000000000000001" which again is followed by, "BackPatch failed to disassemble MOV instruction Error encountered accessing emulated address 00000001. Culprit instruction : add byte ptr ds;[rax],al at 0x41b14065" and the messages continue and continue till I have to close Dolphin from the System Monitor"
Pages: 1 2