Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GPU optimization on latest builds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that optimizing things on the CPU end is nearly impossible, but I would like to ask if it is possible to make the graphics easier on the GPU because it runs slower when there is more geometry detail, but runs perfectly without much geometry and geometry is handled by the GPU, not the CPU if I am not wrong.
phly95 Wrote:I know that optimizing things on the CPU end is nearly impossible

Where did you get that idea from?

phly95 Wrote:but I would like to ask if it is possible to make the graphics easier on the GPU

Probably. The doesn't mean you should expect your HD 4000 to be sufficient for every game though. Accurate GPU emulation is very demanding and your IGP is very slow compared to even outdated discrete GPUs.

Straight from our graphics dev. who I just asked:
neobrain Wrote:we're thinking about rewriting the whole VideoCommon code, which will increase performance

So there is hope. Just don't expect a miracle.

phly95 Wrote:because it runs slower when there is more geometry detail, but runs perfectly without much geometry

Which is normal. More geometry = more work.

phly95 Wrote:and geometry is handled by the GPU, not the CPU if I am not wrong.

Primitive setup is handled on the cpu side. Transformation and everything else are handled on the gpu side.
(08-17-2013, 04:29 AM)phly95 Wrote: [ -> ]I know that optimizing things on the CPU end is nearly impossible
Why do you think that?
(08-17-2013, 08:09 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Primitive setup is handled on the cpu side. Transformation and everything else are handled on the gpu side.
True. And this usually needs much more time on cpu than the gpu for rasterization, even on intel gpus (for low IR).