Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recommendation for building desktop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok,So I'm very new to build desktop and I have been thinking of buying the following:
(I know, I'm forgetting things but those are most important right now)

AMD FX 8350 4GHz (Thinking of overclocking).

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.

Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card.

Master Hyper 212 EVO

SSD (not sure of the size yet)

16Gb RAM (8Gbx2 DDR3-1600)

So my Question is to run every games on dolphin 3.5-1579 at 1080p/720p fullspeed should I change anything and what do you guys think about it.

Thank you.
Quote:So my Question is to run every games on dolphin 3.5-1579
CPU bottleneck
You should look at Dolphin CPU Benchmark
FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz is slower than the outdated i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz .
i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz is faster than i5 2500k @ 4.0GHz
the 3570k goes for the same price as your choice for a cpu. The ivy bridge would step on that thing but if you want to go for AMD wait for the steam roller.
s/wait for Steamroller/question your life choices/
Steam Roller won't catch up Intel latest gen . I thought Bulldozer could catch up Intel i5/i7 single threaded performance ....(and it was the only chance at that time)
It's too late now
FX 8350 single threaded performance is on par with Phenom II x6 which is so old
Unless AMD can summon magic spell and make 50%+ improvement in single threaded performance....
Thanks for the recommendation. (Going to switch to intel)

Now what do you guys think about the settings of the laptop I'm currently using can it be upgraded to play...hmm... lets say last story?

Click here to see the full laptop

Just asking about the cpu
If you disasembly your laptop , you can upgrade CPU
i7 3920XM (arround 500$ on ebay) . Reason : it can be overclocked
Reapply aftermaket thermal paste Arctic MX-4 (must do this) and modify the cooling design (optional)
Laptops for general play are fine, modding and overclocking is an option but kiss warranty out the door. Laptops can not handle the heat nor are they meant to. There is a reason OC'ing today's chips requires water or a heat sink the size of a car battery. I have seen these dells with huge ducts on the back side, I forget the name but imagine its one of the better cooling methods. I dont think you will get that much performance from a laptop, laws of physics just suggest against it.