Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about frame-skipping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys,

I'd like to play Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
As everyone should know the games are insanely demanding and if you want to run them properly you have to have like 4.2Ghz+ .. In my case I'd have to overclock .. But I won't dare and won't be able to overclock it to the needed 4.2Ghz+ to get a fairly speed ..
So I thought that there must be a possibility to set the frame-skipper that way, so that the emulator skips every second frame resulting the game to run at 30fps ..
But I never really used this option .. I'd like to run the game constantly at 30fps, but when I choose one frame to be skipped the frame rate jumps from 60 to 30 during gameplay what seems annoying for me ..
Is there a any way to force Dolphin rendering the games with constant 30fps?
Frame-skipping dosen't work that way... the architecture of the Wii (and GameCube) can't really handle frame-skipping :/ That's why you have random results when you activate it.

At least you can get the PAL version of the game and disable "Use EuRGB60 Mode (PAL60)" in order to reach full speed at 50 FPS.
Oh man ..
And there won't be such an option in future?
It's highly unlikely that you'll still care by the time an option like this gets implemented (if it ever gets implemented at all)
Yo, there's a way to work around this. Use "limit by FPS" and set that to about 30 (you really need 29 or 28, but the emulator doesn't let you select that) and then turn frame skip to 1 or 2, depending on how much you need it. You may need to play around with the numbers to get it working just right, but I tested it here and got a steady 30 fps but, unfortunately 65 vps. If someone allowed arbitrary frame limiting, this would work.
Thanks JMC47 I never thought about this but it sounds very clever, I will test later ^^

Edit : Works great ! It's not very stable but it's playable. I thought it was impossible to do something good with frameskip and I gave up to do something to increase my emulation speed but today I learned a good method, thanks dude ! Smile
@JMC47; thank you very much Smile