Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A10 APU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

RobnotaZombie

Hey guys, first time post.

Going to start off with I read the stickies and searched for terms like "A10" and "APU" with no definitive answer.

Im thinking of make a set top box HTPC that can Emulate my Wii for a better picture. From all that I have read this emulator, coupled with the right hardware, can output a much better picture via HDMI than the Wii can via component. The Wii doesn't look that fantastic on my 55" smart tv Sad .

The FM2A85X-ITX motherboard along with A10-6800K processor is what I am considering. The IGP should be enough to handle almost any game Dolphine can throw at it. And I know the CPU portion of the A10 can run Dolphin without a problem. My only question is how much of a better picture can I expect with this APU? I know it is no i5-xxxx. But I would "hope" it could upscale to IRx3 while maintaining a good playable speed (No jerking or jittering).

Comments please.
The IR shouldn't give you any problems, however depending on the game the CPU may be a bit slow
Be more specific about the actual integrated GPU you expect to be using.

Generally speaking:

CPU = game speed
GPU = graphics enhancements/AA/IR

List the games you intend to play. Some games are not going to be able to reach full speed with that CPU.
A10 6800k is the best CPU for low-budget PC , 3xIR shouldn't be a problem (unless you're going to play the most GPU intensive game - Super Mario Galaxy). Further more , you can overclock it to gain more FPS

RobnotaZombie

@Starscream

The CPU portion of the APU falls in between the i3 series and i5 series CPUs. But as admin89 pointed out it is a `K` processor so it's unlocked and overclockable (with the board I have picked out).

The GPU portion of the APU is supposed to be the equivalent of the HD 7750. Which should be more than enough for anything the Dolphin can push. And if not then I can always throw a HD 7750 in the PCI-e x16 slot and run the PC in Dual Graphics mode (Mobo also allows this) later down the road.

The game I am currently working on is Twighlight Princess (Wii version). I'm not sure how hard of a game it is for Dolphin to run. I only have a couple Wii games at the moment. The other is Last Story.

I'm also only going with 4 gigs of RAM. 1300 speed. From what I have read Dolphin isn't real dependent on RAM and I won't need that much for other HTPC functions either.

But if you think the APU wont cut it I can look for something else. Going to be hard finding a i5+mobo+GPU+RAM for under 300 though...
(08-09-2013, 04:15 AM)RobnotaZombie Wrote: [ -> ]I only have a couple Wii games at the moment. The other is Last Story.

If you can run this one fine then it's all good for you. This is one of the most demanding games. A good test Big Grin

RobnotaZombie

Well... I'm trying to avoid testing. I'd hate to buy this stuff and find out the CPU isn't good enough to run these two games. Why do intel chips have to be so much!?!?
Because they are better? XD
RobnotaZombie Wrote:Going to start off with I read the stickies and searched for terms like "A10" and "APU" with no definitive answer.

You need to work on your searching skills. A lot.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...-hierarchy

Category 3. It's very clearly labeled.

RobnotaZombie Wrote:The CPU portion of the APU falls in between the i3 series and i5 series CPUs.

In highly multithreaded applications. In dual core or single core applications like dolphin is performs similarly to an i3.

RobnotaZombie Wrote:The GPU portion of the APU is supposed to be the equivalent of the HD 7750.

Not quite.

RobnotaZombie Wrote:Which should be more than enough for anything the Dolphin can push. And if not then I can always throw a HD 7750 in the PCI-e x16 slot and run the PC in Dual Graphics mode (Mobo also allows this) later down the road.

Dolphin does not support crossfire.

RobnotaZombie Wrote:The game I am currently working on is Twighlight Princess (Wii version). I'm not sure how hard of a game it is for Dolphin to run. I only have a couple Wii games at the moment. The other is Last Story.

The last story will not run well. Twilight princess will run well except in hyrule field.

RobnotaZombie Wrote:I'm also only going with 4 gigs of RAM. 1300 speed. From what I have read Dolphin isn't real dependent on RAM and I won't need that much for other HTPC functions either.

You need faster ram. DDR3 1866 MHz is strongly recommended for that IGP.

RobnotaZombie Wrote:But if you think the APU wont cut it I can look for something else. Going to be hard finding a i5+mobo+GPU+RAM for under 300 though...

Not hard. Impossible.

RobnotaZombie Wrote:Why do intel chips have to be so much!?!?

They're not. Pentium and i3 cpus cost the same as the A series APUs from AMD.

Of course like ED2 the high end models cost more than AMDs high end models because AMD simply doesn't have any chips that can compete with them.

What kind of HTPC are you looking to build exactly?
Quote:The GPU portion of the APU is supposed to be the equivalent of the HD 7750

Where did you get that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7...on_HD_7700

the 7750 has 512 SPUs
the IGP has 384 SPUs

besides the IGP is restricted to DDR3 which rules out any kind of AA or very high resolutions in most cases...
Pages: 1 2