Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Architecture Performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
AMD just came out with their Richland APUs and Intel recently came out with their Haswell architecture. I was wondering how these new architectures perform for Dolphin. Do they performance better/worse (I say worse because I know Trinity performs worse than Llano even though it's newer)? By how much? It would be great for people building new PCs to see this, so has anyone had the time to look into this yet? Thanks!
Haswell has definitely improved in Dolphin, anywhere from ~18-30% or something like that from Ivy Bridge, if I recall correctly. Have a look at the Legend of Zelda Wind Waker CPU Benchmark Thread for specific results in Dolphin.

I'm not sure about Richland, but I think for Dolphin it should be slightly faster or perhaps the same as Trinity. I dunno for sure, I'm just paraphrasing what I've heard. :p It's definitely not as significant as Intel's recent performance jump, I think.
(08-04-2013, 02:47 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Haswell has definitely improved in Dolphin, anywhere from ~18-30% or something like that from Ivy Bridge, if I recall correctly. Have a look at the Legend of Zelda Wind Waker CPU Benchmark Thread for specific results in Dolphin.

I'm not sure about Richland, but I think for Dolphin it should be slightly faster or perhaps the same as Trinity. I dunno for sure, I'm just paraphrasing what I've heard. :p It's definitely not as significant as Intel's recent performance jump, I think.
I looked at the benchmark thread, I didn't see any of the new architectures on there (I just clicked the results in the first post, are there newer results somewhere else?). That's why I asked.
Did you look at these results here? Look at the model numbers; we have a few Haswell results: i7-4702MQ, i7-4770K, and the i5-4670K.
Richland is not a new microarchitecture. In fact trinity and llano aren't microarctures either. They're chip families.

Richland is just a refresh of trinity. They're basically the same chips with some minor tweaks to turbocore and 100-200MHz higher clock rates (as well as a slight increase to GPU clock rates).

As such they tend to be slightly faster than trinity (5-10% at best).

Trinity and richland use the piledriver microarchitecture while llano uses the 10H (K10) microarchitecture.

Tallix Wrote:I say worse because I know Trinity performs worse than Llano even though it's newer

I don't know where you got this from but it's wrong. Trinity has lower IPC than llano. But IPC is not the same thing as performance. It makes up for it with higher clock rates.

The vast majority of applications perform the same or better on trinity as compared to llano. A few perform better on llano but it is very rare. Dolphin runs better on trinity than llano.

Tallix Wrote:It would be great for people building new PCs to see this, so has anyone had the time to look into this yet? Thanks!

I don't know how much you lurk here (if at all) but this has been discussed constantly over the last few months with the same answer every time. We also have the results posted in the cpu benchmark thread that shonumi linked to. People building new PCs have access to that information already and if they ask for it we will point them to it.

Tallix Wrote:I looked at the benchmark thread, I didn't see any of the new architectures on there

I don't know what to tell you. They're right there.
Quote:llano uses the 10H (K10) microarchitecture.

the mobile version of K10 to be exact.
??????

Microarchitectures don't have "mobile versions". Chip families have mobile versions.

Llano has two platforms. Lnyx (desktop) and sabine (mobile). Both are based on the same microarchitecture.
Look up "K10.5" and "Husky cores" i`m going to work now...
I'm well aware of both.

K10.5 is an unofficial name given by the press to all post shanghai variants of 10H including phenom II. AMD never officially endorsed the use of the name and continues to refer to all variants as 10H in their documentation. Husky is a die shrink of 10H to 32nm.

Both were used in both desktop and laptop markets and never aimed at one specific market. So again I must ask what you're trying to tell me since you're being so cryptic about it.