Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin for more emulations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know I know.. Its alot of work and stuff. But really would it not be cool to be able to play Gameboy to wii (or maybe wii u in the future) all in one emulator and be able to have full device to device translation in games? It would be easier and possible to use your sonic advanced with DX and battle or animal crossing and its nes's + island, or harvest moon with GB harvest moon,, maybe even city folk and transferring your DS character... I would literately pay $50 to $100 for an emulator like that... (if i had the money xD I'd just have to set money to the side every week ... gotta love shitty jobs :D)

It would be cool to have eventually if at all possible..

-Devon

PS. If I bought a GC controller adapter for my pc.. do you think it would work if I plugged my Gameboy into it for animal crossing?
I'm beginning to lose count of how many times this question has been asked. The answer will likely always be no. The developers have no interest in this and it doesn't even make sense to do considering:
1. It has nothing to do with the project goals and would require an enormous amount of wasted time that could be spent improving GC/Wii emulation.
2. There are loads of good emulators out their for these platforms already. You can easily install a frontend or a package with multiple emulators like retroarch to manage them.

DevonLoper Wrote:PS. If I bought a GC controller adapter for my pc.. do you think it would work if I plugged my Gameboy into it for animal crossing?

What?

DevonLoper Wrote:full device to device translation in games

What does this mean?
(08-03-2013, 04:58 PM)DevonLoper Wrote: [ -> ]But really would it not be cool to be able to play Gameboy to wii (or maybe wii u in the future) all in one emulator

Dolphin already sort of does that with the Virtual Consoles. It's not a complete library by any means, but Nintendo has provided many of the popular NES, SNES, and N64 titles for the Wii, hence you can play many of them without issue on Dolphin.

As NV said, the Dolphin project is focused on emulating the GCN, Wii, and Triforce as accurately as possible. Any other system (that includes the Wii U) is out of that scope, and until the goals otherwise change, nothing like that is going to be added any time soon. The only thing close to having Dolphin emulate more systems would be the Game Boy Player, if any one ever decided that needed to be emulated. The short answer to your question, however, is no. Having said that, there's nothing stopping any one or any team from making Dolphin into a super emulator like that. You and everyone else can do whatever you want with Dolphin's code (within the terms of the GPLv2).

(08-03-2013, 04:58 PM)DevonLoper Wrote: [ -> ]and be able to have full device to device translation in games? It would be easier and possible to use your sonic advanced with DX and battle or animal crossing and its nes's + island, or harvest moon with GB harvest moon maybe even city folk and transferring your DS character..

Are you talking about the GBA<->GCN and DS<->Wii connectivity? If Dolphin ever emulated the GBA, it might be easier to do GBA<->GCN than with VBAM (how it's done now), since apparently most of the problems are on VBAM's side. As for DS<->Wii connectivity, it's possible, but is it likely to happen, not just in Dolphin, but in any other emulator? Not without a lot of homebrew and reverse-engineering.

(08-03-2013, 04:58 PM)DevonLoper Wrote: [ -> ]I would literately pay $50 to $100 for an emulator like that... (if i had the money xD I'd just have to set money to the side every week ... gotta love shitty jobs Big Grin

Raise that price by 1000x and I'll get to work Big Grin You'll have to give me half up-front though.

(08-03-2013, 04:58 PM)DevonLoper Wrote: [ -> ]PS. If I bought a GC controller adapter for my pc.. do you think it would work if I plugged my Gameboy into it for animal crossing?

The GBA<->GCN connection doesn't work like that. GC adapters, as far as I know, just translate the input from GC controller into something input APIs (like SDL or XInput) on your computer can understand. They won't translate the serial transmissions of a GBA, nor does Dolphin have any way of reading them (the serial transmissions) to my knowledge.