Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: More speed, less FPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently switched out my CPU with a slightly newer one from my family's old computer. I installed it correctly, then began to try playing Dolphin to see if it would run faster. I actually got more speed, but less FPS. Why would something like that happen? The FPS I was getting was even lower than the amount I saw with my old CPU, but I oddly got a lot more speed. Could it be because of my graphics card?

Here are my specs:
-Current CPU: Intel Celeron 450 @ 2.20GHz
-Old CPU: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
-Graphics Card: Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family
-Dolphin Rev. 3.5
your computer is really terrible for Dolphin . You will need to build a whole new one from scratch
Quote:because of my graphics card?
It's not even a "card" , just an onboard graphic which is a small chip locate on your motherboard
Tell me about your budget then i will help you build new computer
(08-02-2013, 11:30 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]your computer is really terrible for Dolphin . You will need to build a whole new one from scratch
Quote:because of my graphics card?
It's not even a "card" , just an onboard graphic which is a small chip locate on your motherboard
Tell me about your budget then i will help you build new computer
Yikes, well I have no current source of income for the time being (high school, no job Tongue), so I'm afraid I'll just have to come back to the forums when I have an actual budget to start with... Thanks anyway!
300-400$ is good enough for an acceptable PC
Actually your old CPU is faster since it has 2 cores
(08-02-2013, 12:12 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually your old CPU is faster since it has 2 cores
Thanks for the tip! Time to run back and switch them out again Big Grin
Yeah that celeron is a massive downgrade. 1 core instead of 2 and half the cache.
More Speed, Less FPS, can occur with frameskipping iirc.
Or it can occur with any game that doesn't tie gamespeed to framerate.
I wish I could ditch 50% of my FPS to increase my speed on Twilight Princess.