Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pokemon XD GC really slow and choppy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

aaronhouston1

my pc specs are:

Video card: ATI Radeon 7770 2gb HD
Processor: AMD Bulldozer Quad core 3.6ghz
RAM: 8gb
Hard drive: 1tb (500gb free)

the sound is choppy and the game runs really slow and choppy too..im pretty sure my pc is up to par to run this game.
can someone help me out here please?

will post settings pics

thanks! Heart
(07-30-2013, 11:23 AM)aaronhouston1 Wrote: [ -> ]my pc specs are:

Video card: ATI Radeon 7770 2gb HD
Processor: AMD Bulldozer Quad core 3.6ghz
RAM: 8gb
Hard drive: 1tb (500gb free)

the sound is choppy and the game runs really slow and choppy too..im pretty sure my pc is up to par to run this game.
can someone help me out here please?

will post settings pics

thanks! Heart
Processor is too slow. Bulldozer was a step back in ipc compared to the phenom ii series.

aaronhouston1

thanks for the snappy reply mate Smile

what processor would you recommend i get to run wii games and gc games such as pokemon battle revolution or super mario galaxy 2?

thanks again Big Grin x
Quote:i'm pretty sure my pc is up to par to run this game
Pokemon XD is also a demanding game , not really demanding as Super Mario Galaxy though
You should use Dolphin 3.5 Stable on the officail site (Dolphin-emu.org) , not Dolphin 3.5 367 on the fan site (Dolphin.emu.com)
Dolphin 3.5 367 is old and slow , Dolphin 3.5 1xxx is latest Dolphin atm
Dolphin 3.5 Stable should give you more speed
There is Dolphin wiki for each game (contain settings , benchmark data for each game) . You should check Dolphin wiki rather than posting new thread to ask

Your CPU is too slow for most demanding games . Perhaps , you're new in hardware stuff . I will explain why :
_It's not a true Quad Core (2 modules)
_Poor IPC performance / Horrible single Threaded performance compared to the previous Phenom II x4
_Dolphin is a dual core application

You can overclock your CPU (at least 400MHz) to get more FPS
You should look at Dolphin Benchmark - light weight game Zelda WW to see which is the best CPU for Dolphin :
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark
Keep is mind that your FX 4100 is much slower than FX 6300 and FX 6300 is slower than FX 6350
Recommended CPU for most demanding game : i5 4670k (and overclock)
Ooof, seeing as your saying that you have a quad core bulldozer zambezi chip, you have the 4100 (i think). Since you have an AM3+ socket, the best upgrade with your current hardware is to get the FX 8350, which actuallys gets a IPC boost to be around the level of Phenom II (Thuban/Deneb), and you can overclock the crap out of it if you have the powersupply and a good enough cooling system for it (thinking at around 4.5GHz on a GOOD air cooler). If you want to take the overhaul path, get a new Intel board and buy at least a 3670K (even better would be the 4670K). With the 8350, you wont be running all the intensive games, especially with LLE (which is required in Zelda Ucode games like Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda TP to prevent some crashes, heavy audio glitchs, etc). You will be able to run almost everything, just not those select intensive games. The overclocked 4670K will run practically everything dolphin can through at it, and its no slouch in other tasks too that rely on high IPC chips. If you plan on doing more intensive work (Video editing and rendering, 3D modeling and rendering, *put another intensive heavily threaded application here that professionals use*), the 8350 will beat the 4670K (especially if the 8350 itself is OC'ed).

So, for the games you listed, youll need the 4670K to run them accurately AND at full speed. The 8350 will, however, work on your mobo after flashing the bios if it came before Piledriver/Vishera CPU's came out and can be a cheap upgrade. It will be able to run some semi intensive games, but not all intensive games even when overclocked. You should really check the dolphin wiki pages to look at ALL the games you want to play on dolphin, and look at the benchmark tests and look for people using the CPU's your currently using, and the ones I just talked about.

Also, if I goofed up on something, I bet another forum member, Natural Violence, will correct me.