Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Kirby's Return to Dreamland on laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

thehomesk1llet

Hello, all. I'm trying to play Kirby's Return to Dreamland on my Lenovo G570 laptop. I'm playing it in fullscreen so that it runs faster, and I've tried just about everything, even making the resolution smaller. So far, it runs full speed for around 20 seconds at a time, then goes to less than half speed for another 20 seconds.

Can someone help me out with this? I know my laptop's capable.
"thehomesk1llet Wrote:I know my laptop's capable.

Most laptops people come to us with actually aren't up to par for Dolphin. At any rate, it's pretty hard to help you if we don't know the specifics of your laptop (exact CPU make and model, exact GPU make and model, for example). It looks like you've got what Lenovo calls an "entry-level" laptop, meaning it's probably got low-tier specs. In all likelihood, you probably won't get decent speeds in Dolphin for most games. We can't say for sure without some more info though.

thehomesk1llet

(07-28-2013, 08:08 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
' Wrote:I know my laptop's capable.

Most laptops people come to us with actually aren't up to par for Dolphin. At any rate, it's pretty hard to help you if we don't know the specifics of your laptop (exact CPU make and model, exact GPU make and model, for example). It looks like you've got what Lenovo calls an "entry-level" laptop, meaning it's probably got low-tier specs. In all likelihood, you probably won't get decent speeds in Dolphin for most games. We can't say for sure without some more info though.
I remember entering the specs when I signed up for this sight. Oh well.

I've got Intel Pentium, which is an 8-core processor with each core being core being 2 ghz. It has...*gasp*...integrated graphics, of course. It says here "Intel HD". I have four gigabytes of ram. Don't know exactly what kind.

Those are the most important specs, right? Need anything else?
thehomesk1llet Wrote:I've got Intel Pentium, which is an 8-core processor with each core being core being 2 ghz. It has...*gasp*...integrated graphics, of course. It says here "Intel HD". I have four gigabytes of ram. Don't know exactly what kind.

This actually tells us very little. There a lot of CPUs that fall under the Intel Pentium Brand. Yours sounds like an i7, but which i7 is it? For example, my i5 is specifically an i5-2500K. Windows should be able to tell you these things exactly. Dolphin does not take advantage of hyper-threading, and it's only a dual-core application (most of the time, can optionally use another one to emulate the DSP). You can throw all the cores you want, but you'll at least need two really fast cores with good single-threaded IPC.

2GHz is very low for Dolphin, but you should be able to Turbo Boost to a higher clock. Intel HD graphics are very weak for Dolphin. Even if you have a strong CPU, a weak GPU will bottleneck your performance and prevent you from getting fullspeed. Even the Intel HD 3000 will choke on some games at the native GC/Wii resolution (1x IR). It doesn't matter if you're running fullscreen or not; make sure you have your Internal Resolution set to 1x at the most and see if that improves performance. It'll look butt-ugly, but there's no working around the lack of a dedicated GPU.
Quote:I've got Intel Pentium, which is an 8-core processor with each core being core being 2 ghz
There is no Intel 8 cores CPU ...Even mobile i7 is either a dual core or a quad core with Hyper-threading (2 cores 4 threads or 4 cores 8 threads)
All Pentium series CPUs are dual core
Quote:So far, it runs full speed for around 20 seconds at a time, then goes to less than half speed for another 20 seconds.
If CPU overheat , CPU clock speed will throttle down to reduce the temp
Use Realtemp to check your CPU clock speed and temp when Dolphin is running