Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Search Memory not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Johndir

Hi,

I tried to find the routine that loads graphics files in a game. I hoped it it work this way: I let the game run and search the memory for the header of a graphics file. After that I would put a memory-breakpoint on this RAM-address and would be able to find out the routine from the code window when the breakpoint is reached. The problem is that I can't search the RAM in Dolphin. It just doesn't return any results (no match found). Searching a dumped EXRAM file returns results for what I searched in dolphin before.

What am I doing wrong Huh
(07-22-2013, 01:24 AM)Johndir Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I tried to find the routine that loads graphics files in a game. I hoped it it work this way: I let the game run and search the memory for the header of a graphics file. After that I would put a memory-breakpoint on this RAM-address and would be able to find out the routine from the code window when the breakpoint is reached. The problem is that I can't search the RAM in Dolphin. It just doesn't return any results (no match found). Searching a dumped EXRAM file returns results for what I searched in dolphin before.

What am I doing wrong Huh
What do you mean by "graphic files for a game"?
If you're just trying to swap out textures, there's a much easier way to do that (set Texture Cache Accuracy to Safe, enable Dump Textures, look in ./User/Dump/Textures/ for the textures, put replacements with the exact same name in the same folder in ./User/Load/Textures/). If you're looking to swap out models, you're likely on the right path, since Dolphin doesn't have any easy way to dump and swap those.

Johndir

Thanks for trying to make things easier for me but I just want to know how to search the memory since I get no match on whatever I search for.
It's probably broken, then. Features like this are often overlooked by the devs and are broken in the onslaught of changes that happen over the course of development. Try different versions of Dolphin, e.g. 3.5 or 3.0.