Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't seem to enable AA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, was wondering if someone could help me figure out what I'm missing here. I'm trying to enable some form, any form of AA for Dolphin, but nothing seems to stick. The options in Dolphin itself don't actually seem to be doing anything (on either DX9 or DX11 backend) and nothing I force in drivers (via NVIDIA inspector) seems to stick. I've tried every level of AA in drivers from 2x MSAA all the way up to 32x, and even tried supersampling. I noticed no performance hit, and there were still jaggies everywhere.

Am I missing something obvious?
Please tell us what your specs are (CPU/GPU)
Ah sorry, forgot that bit:

CPU: 2600k @4.6GHz
GPU: GTX 670 (latest official drivers)

Also, here is a quick shot of my dolphin graphics settings:
[Image: eo7Nh5X.png]

Everything in Advanced is left unchecked.
Have you tried OpenGL? This will at least verify whether or not the issue is with your drivers implementation of the Direct3D APIs or if it just won't do AA altogether. Try MSAA and SSAA when using OpenGL too, just to be as thorough as possible.

An stop-gap solution would be to keep raising the internal resolution. You can do 4x from Dolphin's GUI or 5x and above if you manually edit Dolphin's config files. The downsampling (is that the proper word?) will give you an AA effect, but it still won't be nearly as effective as using MSAA, SSAA, or whatever else your drivers can throw at 3D applications. Of course, the optimal solution is to get AA working, but if you need to play games now though, it'll at least be a little better in terms of IQ.
Why do you have EFB Copies disabled? Set it to Texture or RAM if you need it.
That's probably also the reason why your AA doesn't work.
Trying switching your IR to "Auto (Window size)".

@Garteal
Oh shit I didn't even notice that. Yeah that's probably why.
Alright, well it works with the AA settings within Dolphin now. However, I'm still a little confused as to why doing it via drivers won't work.
Why would it?

Driver settings are meant to force the application to do something it wasn't designed to do using driver hacks. That doesn't always work.
It's not really a big deal, but I was hoping for more flexibility with AA options.
You have MSAA and SSAA in openGL built-in. FXAA/SMAA can be added via drivers or injectors.
You have SSAA in d3d9 built-in. FXAA/SMAA can be added via drivers or injectors.
You have MSAA in d3d11 built-in. FXAA/SMAA can be added via drivers or injectors.

That's a lot of flexibility. What exactly are you looking for?