Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Retexturing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had to post here because the forums wont let me post in the retexture forum.

So I want to know how I can retexture a Gamecube game. I don't want to do a complete drastic change, I want to merely find the icons for buttons within the game and change them (I know how to edit an image, I just need to find it) to the buttons I've mapped on my xbox controller.

For example, my mappings are as such:

GC : Xbox

A : A
B : X
X : B
Y : Y
Z : RB
C : Right Stick
Start : Start
Stick : Left Stick
L : L
R : R
D Pad : D Pad

I'm sure many folk have the same mappings, it feels the most like gamecube that can be done on an xbox pad (to me, at least).

I want to retexture; B to X, X to B, Z to RB and C to a grey stick with an "r" letter. Perhaps it would also be wise to edit the stick icon in a similar fashion.

I can do this rather easily if I can access the files, I just need to know HOW I access them. Also if they're a strange format, what would be the best (free) program to edit with? I usually use GIMP for such things.

I understand that this will need to be done for each game, but I don't have too many games so it's not such a big issue.

What additional information would be wise to understand if I need to change an animated sprite? AFAIK, I would just need to edit each image for the sprite seperately and it shouldn't be too problematic.

I'm using both .gcm and .iso files for my games.

I'd rather not have to bloat my computer with software if at all avoidable.

Also, if anyone doesn't mind helping, how might I go about changing the sprites in a similar fashion with .n64 files? I ask because the forums for N64 games are super inactive, I usually get a response when I post things here and y'all seem like the kind of folks who would be in the know.

I will release my texture packs with nothing but the changed icons if there is demand for it, I don't mind. If they're of a balls quality, I wouldn't even bother to add them to my own game, heh. So no worries about that.
Firstly, I'm pretty sure there is a sub forum for GC/Wii texture packs and questions about it. Also, here is actually a option in dolphin that will dump textures in games as they are loaded in game. When you redo a texture (you can up the resolution, BTW), hen you give it the name of the dumped texture, and put it in the games folder somewhere in dolphin 's file system (can't remember where, there should be a guide on that sub forum), and enable the load custom texture hack option in the graphics section.

Also, might wanna ask the n64 question in the edge of forums? Not sure.
Sorry about the forum I posted in, I was originally going to post here, but the forums wouldn't let me post for some reason. I also tried here to no avail and decided to just post it here because I knew I actually could. The retexture sub-forums had no stickied information topics I could see.

You tell me how to load up my textures to a game, but not how to take them from the game so that I can edit them. This is the main issue I have. Thanks for the input though, should be useful when I get to that stage.
Yes, I did, Im sorry I did t specify which folder they would be dumped in. Let me be a bit more specific, there is a option that is in the graphics settings to dump textures, and I would provide pics if my computer wasn't disassembled waiting for my new tubing and water loop parts. Pretty sure it's in the hacks section e loading textures option. When you load a game with this option enabled, all textures LOADED (meaning you have to play them game until the game has loaded all your desired textures) will be dumped into a folder that will be somewhere in either dolphins user folder or the actually dolphin folder. These textures can be scaled up for larger resolutions, and are completely editable. They have very specific names, and you need to keep pretty good track of them lol. In all honesty, the folder isn't too hard to find, but I'll try to get you more info after I get done with some real life tasks Sad
Ah yes, I seem to have found it, thanks a lot. It was under Advanced in the Graphics options menu. I'll see what I can do now ^^
I would appreciate if anyone could hand me their opinions:

[Image: b7cFhgF.png]

It would be nice if I could change the background colour of a button but I can't seem to figure out how. It seems to me that all buttons are intially grey and then coloured in-game. I know that the c stick icon I have is grey. Perhaps there is a way around this?

The C Stick merely needs its yellow tint removing, which seems like it would be much simpler than changing to a different colour as would be neccessary for the other buttons.

I'm planning to retexture both zelda games
well, if anyone has any experience with twilght princess textures, I would really appreciate if you could assist me in changing the colour of the b button. I want it blue but all of the sprites for the ui are in greyscale. I have no idea how to change it.

I also seem to have an issue with wind waker. Attempting to do the same thing with the b button, I can change the sprite in-game, but the b button in the opening menu seems to be stuck red. I have both button sprties retextured blue but they refuse to change more than what has been done.

Works here but not in the save selection menu:
[Image: VrYZus8.png]
Pretty sure those colors are applied by the game, and would probably require a ROMhack to change. A lot of little textures like those are made in grey scale, and then just have the game apply the color, to free up a tiny bit more VRAM.
how would one harness the knowledge to perform such a task as a romhack?

Seems a relatively simple thing to do.
Would it help if were to reveal that I have some experience with c++ and java?
Pages: 1 2