Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: strange behaviour with GPU workload
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry for my bad english.

Hi guys,
i found a strange behaviour (for me) with Dolphin.
I am playing Super Mario Sunshine with the internal resolution 3x and 2 samples Anti-Aliasing.
When i run around at Piaza Delfino i have slowdowns at times. The Speed is around 23 fps, VPS 46 and 78 %. GPU-Z indicates me that the GPU Core and Memory run with half workload.
Now, i run a another application simultaneously, that also use the GPU. And now the GPU runs with full clock.
And now the strange: Mario sunhine runs with 30 fps, VPS 60 and 98% and appears very fluid.
How can it be, that Dolphin not use the full capacity of the GPU?

Thank you, and again, sorry for my english Confused

Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
Processor/CPU: i5 2400
Video Card/GPU: GTX 570
Memory/RAM: 8 GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 3.5-1606

**UPDATE**
I have the same effect, when i disable the energy saving feature in the NVIDIA Control Panel. After restarting Dolphin the game runs with full speed and the workload of GPU via GPU-Z is full. And now i can play with 4x resolution and full anti-aliasing and the framerate does not decrease. Exclamation
Dolphin often don't use the gpu all the time. Some of the emulated features have to stall the gpu: efb2ram, efb access, real xfb and perf querys
As this isn't common for usual pc games, the driver might think the application doesn't need so much gpu power and slows down the gpu.

So you have to configure your driver

haloharry97

how do you configure your driver on a amd gpu
The same way you do with nvidia. Right click your desktop and open the control panel. Or just run catalyst control center.
People keep coming here with these issues, this is a driver issue that doesn't have anything to do with Dolphin.
Dolphin emulator is using more the cpu and gpu only for resolution / AA
if im playing @ 3840x2160 GPU usage is @100%, so it depends on which resolution you are playing...
btw you don't really get higher fps if the gpu usage is @100%, overclock your cpu to get more fps.

edit: starsscream, no it isn't a bug, gpu boost2.0 downlock it itself, if the graphic card isn't needed
CPU has nothing to do with IR
CryZENx Wrote:edit: starsscream, no it isn't a bug, gpu boost2.0 downlock it itself, if the graphic card isn't needed

Yes and the gpu is needed here but it's still being downclocked. Thus it is a bug.

CryZENx Wrote:btw you don't really get higher fps if the gpu usage is @100%, overclock your cpu to get more fps.

If your gpu load is at 100% then a cpu overclock likely won't have any impact on performance. And if it does, very little.