Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: When will processors be able to run dolphin full speed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When Skylake or skymount comes out? Even Ivy Bridge processors overclocked to 4.5ghz have slow down.
That depends on the game and settings. Some games will never be fullspeed.
On a 3570K overclocked, pretty much all games will run fullspeed. The very hardest ones will still have momentary slowdowns here and there, like Metroid Prime 3 and the Last Story, but that is very rare and specific. So, I'd say processors are already able to "run dolphin full speed".

Phones, not so much.
The Wii has slowdowns in TLS as well.
TLS is full speed everywhere except a few drops to like 26- 27 fps in Lazulis city on 2500k@4.3ghz (with tb to 4.4 unless all 4 cores is used).
I don't own Metoroid Prime 3, so I have no idea about that.
Honestly, I want to see a CPU that can run Okami as accurately as possible at full speed (It lagged even on the Wii itself XD ). Also, pokemon battle revolution, what can run that full speed at all times (and seriously, why is it so hard to run, GFX asset wise it doesn't look as good as games like SMG or Xenoblade)?

In all honesty, nothing will run 100% until someone creases out all of the major performance bugs (not just demanding parts of games, just badly emulated games, if there any put there still), and in a decade or two we may have the tech to run some games that use features on the native hardware that we can't perform nearly as efficiently on x86.
ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote:and seriously, why is it so hard to run, GFX asset wise it doesn't look as good as games like SMG or Xenoblade

Because how it looks has nothing to do with how hard it is to emulate?

I don't understand why people think the two are linked.

ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote:nothing will run 100% until someone creases out all of the major performance bugs (not just demanding parts of games, just badly emulated games, if there any put there still)

Most of these "performance bugs" that people refer to are simply the game doing something that requires very accurate and very demanding emulation to do well enough to not break the game. There usually isn't any magic solution to improving performance that doesn't break the game. Some things are just inherently slow to emulate because of how they work.
(07-16-2013, 04:50 PM)ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote: [ -> ]In all honesty, nothing will run 100% until someone creases out all of the major performance bugs (not just demanding parts of games, just badly emulated games

I can play almost ALL my games with full speed so I have NO idea what you are talking about....
Well, I just would really like to know why it's running slow. From looking at the gfx assets, they aren't as detailed as some of the more I pressure games. So, what in the game exactly is so draining in performance. Sorry I can't use the reply option, Ipad is a little wonky when it comes to that....

I also know that for some bugs, there isn't a magic solution. It's also why I also talked about simply not having the hardware to run some parts of games, since x86 simply can't emulate some aspects of the target platform (in this case, the Wii/GC) very efficiently compared to other emulated features. Haven't there been some minor inaccuracies in the past (probably quite a while back in development) that may have decreased performance, and were fixed later improving frame rates, maybe just improving hacks code in general?

Edit: Also, is there anyway I can check total poly counts and other statistics while the game is running? That would be helpful in general, not just in this case.
Get an Intel CPU, overclock it to 4.2+ and you should see a substantial improvement. It is well known that AMD CPU's cannot hold up as well as Intel's in Dolphin, clock per clock.

It is my understanding that a powerful CPU is more important in Dolphin and a powerful GPU.
ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote:Well, I just would really like to know why it's running slow.

Debug and find out.

I don't have the game so I can't tell you much about it.

ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote:From looking at the gfx assets, they aren't as detailed as some of the more I pressure games.

Why would prettier graphics automatically make a game slower to emulate?

ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote:I also know that for some bugs, there isn't a magic solution.

You misunderstand me. What I'm saying is that they're not bugs. Bugs are when something isn't working as intended. Certain things are just very demanding to emulate. That doesn't mean it's a bug.

ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote:Haven't there been some minor inaccuracies in the past (probably quite a while back in development) that may have decreased performance, and were fixed later improving frame rates, maybe just improving hacks code in general?

Inaccuracies != optimizations

There have been lots of little (and big) optimizations over dolphins life cycle. They're generally pretty small though. I'm not sure if I can think of any that suddenly made a game go from being very slow to fast. And there have been far more changes that have reduced performance in order to improve accuracy.

ThorhiantheUltimate Wrote:Edit: Also, is there anyway I can check total poly counts and other statistics while the game is running? That would be helpful in general, not just in this case.

Graphics configuration -> advanced -> show statistics. I think, I've never used it before.
Pages: 1 2