Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mini ITX build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi all,

I'm new here so sorry if I ask anything that has already been asked.
I've done a few searches to try to read up on whats what etc.

I'm currently only really trying the Dolphin emulator on my work laptop, it isn't great, specs can be seen in my sig.

I've only tried Wind Waker so far and I get dips in FPS & game speed.

I'm wanting to build a new machine for my home, something small and inconspicuous to sit under my TV next to my Xbox, for watching movies on, downloading, light gaming etc...

I do a fair amount of my main gaming on my Xbox360 or Wii... sometimes N64 so I'm only looking to build a small rig to run Dolphin well.
I'm not looking to play the best AAA titles at max settings.

I've been out of the hardware loop for a while and haven't kept up to date with whats what.
Any input on this build listed below would be great.

Thank you,

Ninpo

CPU: Intel Pentium G860 (Sandy Bridge): 3.0 GHz, 3 MB Shared L3 cache ([color=#ff0000]I might see if I can upgrade this to a i-5 if possible[/color])
CPU Cooler: Intel Boxed Heat Sink and Fan-
Motherboard: Foxconn H61S: LGA 1155, Intel H61 Express
RAM:
Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1600 BLT2KIT2G3D1608DT2TXRG$33
Graphics:
Sapphire 100357LP: Radeon HD 7750 1 GB
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint M8 ST320LM001: 320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 2.5" Hard Drive([color=#ff0000]I'm in the process of obtaining a 1TB External so the internal space isn't a real concern[/color])
Case:
Antec ISK300-150 Black Mini-ITX Desktop
Power: Antec FP-150-8 Flex (included with case)-
Optical: None- ([color=#ff0000]I might punny up for a cheap drive later on or see if I can fit a Bluray in there...[/color])

Total Price

$393
If you want to play some of the more demanding games (Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Story etc) then you'll need an overclocked i5/i7. These will probably run too hot in a Mini ITX case, though.
To build an i5 desktop with overclocking capability , you have to bump your budget up to 800$
G860 @ 3.0GHz will be too slow for most games if you use recent Dolphin version
I'd really like to play The Last Story, it's meant to be really good Smile

Yeah I'm thinking that it could run hot... I'm not looking to play with like the best Dolphin settings ever, just enough to make it stable and playable.

~Ninpo~
Latest AMD APU build is better for the same price , latest APU integrated GPU - AMD 8670D is really fast ( may be as fast as AMD 6670 GDDR5 ) , you don't even need a graphic card :
Asrock FM2 A85X (support overclocking) - 100$
A10 6800k @ 4.1GHz (Max Turbo Core : 4.4GHz) Unlocked CPU (can overclock) - 150$
Gskill Ripjaws X Series 2x2GB 1600MHz - 40$
Total Cost : 290$
You still have 100$ for case , PSU , HDD
That A10 looks really nice, never seen it before.
So it's still a integrated GPU, how does this fare with Dolphin and games etc?
Seems to hold up pretty well against the i-5's...

Yaay a new CPU ^^
I can then go for a whatever case, decent cooling needed

PSU: I could probably get away with a 450W and HDD, meh 300GB is okay as I'll have my external for backup...

Can nab a copy of Win 8 from work, possibly an optics drive...

Win 8 or Win 7, what's the verdict? Any difference in performance?

---Edit---

Then I guess in the long run there is the option to add in a dedicated GPU if I desire to do so Smile

Also, Mini-ATX or Mini-ITX, what is the difference really?
Look at A10 5800k benchmark results in Dolphin Benchmark
A10 6800k is faster than A10 5800k . Therefore , it should be faster than G860 in Dolphin . In PC games , 2 cores no HT vs 4 cores (2 modules) , you do the math
Besides , A10 6800k support overclocking while G860 doesn't offer anything
Base on A10 6800k owner experience, A10 6800k can run Mario Kart Wii (a GPU intensive games) near full speed with 3xIR (1920x1584) , no AA , 16x Anisotropic Filtering
With speed hack (right-click the game - properties - Vbeam speed hack) , The Last Story will be playable . I expect 20-22FPS at Lazulis City (30FPS is full speed)
What about the Bitfenix Prodigy?
(07-12-2013, 12:20 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Look at A10 5800k benchmark results in Dolphin Benchmark
A10 6800k is faster than A10 5800k . Therefore , it should be faster than G860 in Dolphin . In PC games , 2 cores no HT vs 4 cores (2 modules) , you do the math
Besides , A10 6800k support overclocking while G860 doesn't offer anything
Base on A10 6800k owner experience, A10 6800k can run Mario Kart Wii (a GPU intensive games) near full speed with 3xIR (1920x1584) , no AA , 16x Anisotropic Filtering
With speed hack (right-click the game - properties - Vbeam speed hack) , The Last Story will be playable . I expect 20-22FPS at Lazulis City (30FPS is full speed)
Thanks for the info, that's the decider for me then, I'll go for a A10 6800k Big Grin

(07-12-2013, 12:32 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]What about the Bitfenix Prodigy?
It's a nice looking case, no doubts about that!
I do really want to place the rig under my tV set-up but I am now swaying towards an Antec 300... I know, I know it's not a small case and I'd never get it under my TV!

I've just always like them ^^

---

I might go down the Bitfenix road Big Grin
Quote:Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX
Micro ATX mobo won't fit small case such as mini ITX
Quote:What about the Bitfenix Prodigy?
Yeah it's much better but also cost higher
If he get the Prodigy , he will have to buy a PSU such as this one
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5