Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii games run faster than GC games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm new to these forums, and I was just wondering... Why does it seem that Wii games run faster than the GC games I emulate? I mean, don't get me wrong, this is NO problem for me at all Smile It's just that I wish GC could run the same way, is there any way I can adjust my settings for speedup?

Specs:
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
Video Card: Intel 82954G Express Chipset Family (Horrible, I know lol)
Dolphin Ver.: 3.5 x86

Hope I provided the right info!
It depends on which Wii games you're running and which Gamecube games you're running. If you're running games like Muramase: The Demon Blade and New Super Mario Bros ("light" games that don't require a lot of resources), they'll run faster than most GC games which are average to very demanding (there are some lightweight GC games though, like Time Splitters 2 and LoZ:WW). If you played demanding Wii games, you'll notice a slowdown too. What games have you tried playing so far? Every game is different when it comes to the requirements for running it smoothly.

Btw, your machine is very weak for Dolphin. You won't get very far in many games. I've had a slightly stronger system than yours for our family computer, but after even 3.0, I couldn't get decent speeds :p Might have been the games I was playing (they weren't really light).
(07-11-2013, 03:13 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on which Wii games you're running and which Gamecube games you're running. If you're running games like Muramase: The Demon Blade and New Super Mario Bros ("light" games that don't require a lot of resources), they'll run faster than most GC games which are average to very demanding (there are some lightweight GC games though, like Time Splitters 2 and LoZ:WW). If you played demanding Wii games, you'll notice a slowdown too. What games have you tried playing so far? Every game is different when it comes to the requirements for running it smoothly.

Btw, your machine is very weak for Dolphin. You won't get very far in many games. I've had a slightly stronger system than yours for our family computer, but after even 3.0, I couldn't get decent speeds :p Might have been the games I was playing (they weren't really light).
Here are my results for the games I have played:

Super Smash Bros Melee: 3-20 FPS In-game
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 30-50 FPS In-game
Super Mario Sunshine: 7-35 FPS In-game
Mario Kart Wii: 20-30 FPS In-game
Mario Kart Double Dash: 5-20 FPS In-game

I guess the Wii games I was playing aren't too demanding, then? There IS a slight problem with MKWii though, I can't get the players to have normal colors, they always stay black. I am nearly always on brawl lol, I'm very happy with how it is running and I often wish the same could happen with Melee. If I'm able to upgrade our graphics card, which one should I buy for games and Dolphin? Also, can you upgrade processors, too, and if so, should I upgrade mine?(Sorry for the noob questions hahaha)
Melee and Brawl should be closer than that. Both are fairly light games. Super Mario Sunshine sounds about right though. Haven't played much of MK-DD but I think MK Wii should be more demanding. Your results are kind of odd, even with the GPU bottleneck. Your IGP won't let you play any game at fullspeed at 1x Internal Resolution.

If you want decent speed in all games (Wii or GC) you really should grab yourself an entirely new computer. If you have a budget and a list of games you want to play, we can help you find the best hardware. You can either make a new thread in the Hardware forum or I could just move this thread to Hardware if you wanted.
(07-11-2013, 05:27 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Melee and Brawl should be closer than that. Both are fairly light games. Super Mario Sunshine sounds about right though. Haven't played much of MK-DD but I think MK Wii should be more demanding. Your results are kind of odd, even with the GPU bottleneck. Your IGP won't let you play any game at fullspeed at 1x Internal Resolution.

If you want decent speed in all games (Wii or GC) you really should grab yourself an entirely new computer. If you have a budget and a list of games you want to play, we can help you find the best hardware. You can either make a new thread in the Hardware forum or I could just move this thread to Hardware if you wanted.
Actually I would love it if you moved this to the hardware thread so I can get some help choosing what to buy. If you say I'd need a new computer, does that mean that you can't replace the processor? Sad
You can replace it, sure. But in all honesty, you could buy a low-end new Haswell system from Best Buy (i.e. a run of the mill consumer computer) for what your current computer cost when you bought it, and that computer would run significantly faster, that's how weak your current setup is for Dolphin.

Rather than upgrading components (CPU and GPU chiefly), you really could do with a new system altogether. But that's just my opinion. If you want to see how to upgrade your existing hardware, we'd still be glad to help Smile

BUMP. Sorry my phone is horrible for web browsing (mobile Chrome). Couldn't move your thread until just now. At any rate, do you have a budget, either for a new computer or a new CPU and a dedicated GPU?
I'm 17, so I'll need a job to get the money for new hardware components right now. Maybe somewhere below $200 or below $300 would work for me!
You're not going to be able to do much with that budget.

Is this an OEM PC? What power supply and case do you have?
(07-12-2013, 10:39 AM)cornbread531 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm 17, so I'll need a job to get the money for new hardware components right now. Maybe somewhere below $200 or below $300 would work for me!

Beg parents for new PC, promise to repay it, hope they forget about it. It works, sometimes.

With that budget, you're going to have a difficult time getting a decent upgrade. I would imagine that you could buy a decent GPU and a cooler for that price range and try your luck overclocking your CPU, if your PSU can handle it. But for all that effort, without the guarantee of being able to play most games at or near fullspeed (at least the ones you want), that money might be better saved for when you want a completely new machine.