Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Huge difference between X86 & X64?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

donfuan

Hi people,

first of all this is my first post and i wanna thank the dolphin community for the extraordinary piece of software you created. Amazing!

My question:
I'm still running Win XP 32 bit, 'cause i'm making music on my comp and my very old (but great) soundcard didn't get the 64bit treatment by it's manufacturer.
As i'm currently replaying LoZ: TP (curse you, Hyrule Field!) and would like to go Metroid Prime and a little Super Mario Galaxying in between (i know i know, demanding games Confused ), will the switch to Win 7 64 bit have an recognizable impact on the performance? Currently running AMD Athlon XII 445 OC @ 3,6GHz, and thinking about upgrading this to a Phenom XII X4 980/975/970 (980 is the best my MoBo still supports).

What are your suggestions? cheers!
Phenom II x4 9xx are good CPUs . However , it's still too slow to play demanding games full speed
Even if you overclock the Phenom to 4.2GHz , it still can't beat i5 2500k stock speed 3.3GHz
i5 2500k stock speed doesn't have enough power to run Zelda TP - Hyrule Field (later part) full speed all the time . So you get the idea
Perhaps , you should pick i5 2500k on ebay (112.5$) and Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 , an aftermarket cooler such as Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and then overclock that i5 to 4.5GHz or higher

Dolphin CPU Benchmark :
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark

Quote:will the switch to Win 7 64 bit have an recognizable impact on the performance?
May be 2-10FPS , depending on the game

donfuan

(07-03-2013, 06:09 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Phenom II x4 9xx are good CPUs . However , it's still too slow to play demanding games full speed
Even if you overclock the Phenom to 4.2GHz , it still can't beat i5 2500k stock speed 3.3GHz
i5 2500k stock speed doesn't have enough power to run Zelda TP - Hyrule Field (later part) full speed all the time . So you get the idea
Perhaps , you should pick i5 2500k on ebay (112.5$) and Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 , an aftermarket cooler such as Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and then overclock that i5 to 4.5GHz or higher

Dolphin CPU Benchmark :
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark

Quote:will the switch to Win 7 64 bit have an recognizable impact on the performance?
May be 2-10FPS , depending on the game
thx for the answer! Well, i don't wanna upgrade MoBo & CPU atm, so i guess i'll go for the Phenom. As long as i get stable 30+fps out of it, i'm fine. Twilight Princess runs ok except for the cursed Hyrule Field, but there's not much to do there anyway and i get like 17 fps there, so it's a bit painful but i get through there.