Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Not fully using GPU - hidden bottleneck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Check your gpu and cpu clock rates while dolphin is running a game.
It's running at full clock on both CPU and GPU and neither is being used 100%. Is that what means it's a memory bandwidth problem?
No. It means that what admin said was correct. Your cpu and gpu are both working fine. Your hardware is just too slow for what you're trying to do. SMG is a very demanding game.

Your gpu isn't being fully utilized because it's being bottlenecked by the cpu. Your cpu isn't being fully utilized because it has 8 hardware threads and dolphin only uses 2-3.

Ragoroo

(07-03-2013, 11:18 AM)DaRkL3AD3R Wrote: [ -> ]There is some legitimacy in these concerns as I have found with my GTX 780 desktop card. Due to the way Nvidia clocks cards adaptively during gameplay, I am seeing GPU related performance problems and I can't get the card to force higher clock rate to compensate for the performance toll. On my old Radeon 5870 I could do 4xNative on D3D11 and never lose a single frame. Now on my GTX 780 I have to use DX9 otherwise my card severely limits performance. Games are still mostly playable but for benchmarking and turning off frame limit, I see a sizable difference going from 1x to 4x native. Considering this is a top tier GPU on the market right now, that should not be the case.

I found that by forcing higher clock rates manually through disabling adaptive GPU performance, I see performance go back to being closer to what I'd expect. But still not quite there.

Hi Guys,

I've found the workaround for this and now have SMG2 running at 4xNative 2560x2112. Big Grin Big Grin

(MY GTX 780 is clocked to 1150mhz)

The first thing i did was set prefer maximum performance in the drivers. This got me up from the low power state to the reference 780 Base clock of 863mhz. However this was still giving me slow down. Because dolphin only uses a low percentage of the gpu capacity the gpu boost never kicks in so we have to force it.
The way to do this is through nvidia inspector.

I found the instructions here:

https://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php...true#36320

In a nutshell here is what I did and what my code looks like (below):
--
Download Nvidia inspector - (you do not need to alter your clock speeds here - I use msi afterburner to overclock)
Open nvidia inspector to check your gpu index needed for the command line (this is displayed in brackets at the end of your GPU name next to the paypal logo)
Run a command prompt (On windows 8 press start then type CMD)
Paste or type your code in.
--
Here is the code i used to force my overclocked boost clocks (XXXX represents my personal folders your directory will be different):

"C:\Users\XXXX\XXXX\inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setGPUClock:0,2,1150 -forcePState:0,2 -setPowerTarget:0,106

The 3 commands do the following:
-setGPUClock: Forces the clock speed
-forcePState: Forces Nivida GPU boost into its full power state
-setPowerTarget: increases the allowed power to a maximum of 106%

I hope this helps some of you.

I also found teh best setup to be forcing 16AF and FXAA on in the Nvidia control panel and letting dolphin manage the vsynch.
Forcing vsynch & triple buffering in the nvidia panel led to sound/stuttering glitches.
Reported for necroposting. Please read the global forum rules before posting.
Pages: 1 2