Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Twilight Princess Fps Trouble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

lmusia

I am having trouble with FPS on Twilight Princess. It runs well full graphics except in Hyrule Field. I recently Bought a new processor and motherboard specifically to run Dolphin at full speed. Anybody have any advice?

Processor/CPU: AMD FX 6300 Six Core 4.0 GHz
Video Card/GPU: Nvidia 460 GTX
Memory/RAM: Corsair Vengence 4 Gigs
Well first of all which version of the game are you talking about? the Wii version or the GC version?

Both versions have slow down(s) in Hyrule Field. To fix...

GC Version / Wiki :
"Over time in the game Hyrule Field may become progressively slower. To fix this use the "ZTP hack" or "ZTP speedup hack" (not the projection hack). This can be found in the game properties by right clicking the game in the main dolphin window and clicking game properties. Make sure this option is checked for this game and only this game."

Wii Version / Wiki :
"Over time in the game Hyrule Field becomes progressively slower. To fix this use the "ZTP hack" (see Configuration). Make sure that this option is checked only for this game since this can cause issues in other games."

lmusia

(07-02-2013, 12:23 PM)Scootaloo Wrote: [ -> ]Well first of all which version of the game are you talking about? the Wii version or the GC version?

Both versions have slow down(s) in Hyrule Field. To fix...

GC Version / Wiki :
"Over time in the game Hyrule Field may become progressively slower. To fix this use the "ZTP hack" or "ZTP speedup hack" (not the projection hack). This can be found in the game properties by right clicking the game in the main dolphin window and clicking game properties. Make sure this option is checked for this game and only this game."

Wii Version / Wiki :
"Over time in the game Hyrule Field becomes progressively slower. To fix this use the "ZTP hack" (see Configuration). Make sure that this option is checked only for this game since this can cause issues in other games."
Yes i have turned it on.. I'm starting to wonder if my specs are good enough. Also i have the GameCube version
Well I'm not very good at rating hardware, but I can help with some things.

Alright, so what settings you have?
It's a hardware issue. The AMD FX 6300 is not very strong when it comes to Dolphin. Dolphin relies on high single-threaded performance, which the FX CPUs aren't particularly good at delivering. You can have a look at the Wind Waker CPU Benchmark for real-world results. My i5-2500K at stock beats the two OCed FX CPUs in all but one test (and it was only a 1 FPS difference then). Additionally, Dolphin is only a dual-core application by default; it can use more in certain cases (DSP on Dedicated Thread, OpenMP Texture decoder) but Dolphin doesn't currently even utilize 100% of a quad-core system, much less a hexa-core system.

Sorry to say, but AMD's current offerings aren't going to let you run a number of demanding games or spots in certain games at fullspeed (SMG 1 or 2 with LLE audio, The Last Story, LoZ:TP Hyrule Field, etc). I can only say that you should have done a bit more research on Dolphin; we've got a great Hardware forum to ask questions about prospective builds and components and we would have loved to have helped you build your PC. Hindsight is 20/20 though. If you OC high enough, a lot of games will run quite well, but you'll need a stronger CPU for a number of games to consistently reach fullspeed. We often recommend CPUs like Intel's "K" line of CPUs. Haswell CPUs experience a significant boost in performance over the last generation Ivy Bridge CPUs concerning Dolphin (I forget, but it's easily 15~20% or sth, it's in the benchmark I linked to).

lmusia

(07-02-2013, 01:05 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]It's a hardware issue. The AMD FX 6300 is not very strong when it comes to Dolphin. Dolphin relies on high single-threaded performance, which the FX CPUs aren't particularly good at delivering. You can have a look at the Wind Waker CPU Benchmark for real-world results. My i5-2500K at stock beats the two OCed FX CPUs in all but one test (and it was only a 1 FPS difference then). Additionally, Dolphin is only a dual-core application by default; it can use more in certain cases (DSP on Dedicated Thread, OpenMP Texture decoder) but Dolphin doesn't currently even utilize 100% of a quad-core system, much less a hexa-core system.

Sorry to say, but AMD's current offerings aren't going to let you run a number of demanding games or spots in certain games at fullspeed (SMG 1 or 2 with LLE audio, The Last Story, LoZ:TP Hyrule Field, etc). I can only say that you should have done a bit more research on Dolphin; we've got a great Hardware forum to ask questions about prospective builds and components and we would have loved to have helped you build your PC. Hindsight is 20/20 though. If you OC high enough, a lot of games will run quite well, but you'll need a stronger CPU for a number of games to consistently reach fullspeed. We often recommend CPUs like Intel's "K" line of CPUs. Haswell CPUs experience a significant boost in performance over the last generation Ivy Bridge CPUs concerning Dolphin (I forget, but it's easily 15~20% or sth, it's in the benchmark I linked to).
Hmm. I defiantly agree that i need to research better before i make decisions. I am still able to return my CPU and Motherboard and get my money back. What would be the best cost effective alternative?
i5 2500k cost 112.5$ on ebay , just get Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 to overclock CPU (Or Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 if you want to upgrade to Ivy Bridge later)
i5 2500k is old but it's much faster than FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz in Dolphin Benchmark