Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 100*c is too hot. Help me get cool.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So using the dolphin emu and using the forums has made me realize my processor is reaching temps just tickling 100*c. I bought a cheap $3 laptop stand which helped a little. To run the dolphin emu I had to balance my laptop over my desk shelf and blast a mini fan towards the air intake. This made the max temp while running dolphin 87c which I think is acceptable for a max temp?

So I bought a laptop cooling stand, unfortunately this didn't do a very good job and still seeing a max temp of 99c with the fan at full blast.

I think something is wrong and it's time to try and fix it. Firstly, does anyone know of any software where i can alter my fan speed manually? So I can run the fan at full blast and see if that helps?

Any other advice on what could be going on would be appreciated. I will take my laptop apart and go at it with some compressed air!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834214870 This is my laptop.

Thanks!
Buy Arctic MX-4
Disassembly your laptop , clean/remove old thermal compound on both CPU and CPU
Apply Arctic MX-4
Done , your laptop will run as cool as new laptop . Most laptop users should do this in the first place
Most laptop manufacturers (even Apple) use cheap/crappy thermal compound on their products , OEM thermal compound really sucks
You can ask warranty service or some technicians you know if you are not sure about this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8k7EAFcopQ
I'm gonna say something strange, this thread is posted in the wrong section Tongue
just buy cooler master laptop mesh stand aluminium very effective airflow
your info http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Deta...al-u1.html

depend on game and your dolphin setting!

set too high setting for gpu and cpu load it may reach 85 to 100 degrees C (warning overheat)

set low setting

just use your standing fan your laptop when gaming!

Reason want to last long use fan to cool your rig prevent overheat!
Please don't suggest a cooling pad ! All of them are crap , even the best cooling pad only reduce 2-5C at best
Did you see his post ?
JT! Wrote:So I bought a laptop cooling stand, unfortunately this didn't do a very good job and still seeing a max temp of 99c with the fan at full blast
Cooling pad will work effectively if you have an aluminum laptops (such as MacBook Pro, Ultrabook ) . Plastic laptop barely do anything
Cooling pad uses indirect cooling method ....
(07-01-2013, 04:11 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Buy Arctic MX-4
Disassembly your laptop , clean/remove old thermal compound on both CPU and CPU
Apply Arctic MX-4
Done , your laptop will run as cool as new laptop . Most laptop users should do this in the first place
Most laptop manufacturers (even Apple) use cheap/crappy thermal compound on their products , OEM thermal compound really sucks
You can ask warranty service or some technicians you know if you are not sure about this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8k7EAFcopQ
That looks a little complex for me to do, maybe I'll take it to someone in the local area.
Actually, looked it up on youtube and isn't too difficult...

Took it apart and got to the fan to find a fuck load of dust in there. Cleaned it all out and put it back together.

Max temp is 80c when playing twilight princess, 2 degrees cooler with the cooling pads' fan on with a max temp of 78c. I'm not too bothered about the cooling pads performance as it still needed a descent stand. But still disappointed that really they don't do too much.

Happy I can play games and shit now! Thanks for the advice guys!
78C max is ok for a laptop Big Grin
>85C = overheating , will damage components
Cleaning out the fan isn't enough. The chances are pretty good that you're going to still have cooling issues until you clean the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste as well.
Is 80f max considered a cooling issue?

I did preemptively buy some thermal paste that's in the mail, maybe when I need to reopen it again I'll go a head and do it.
Pages: 1 2