Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin used to run smoothy on max settings, doesn't anymore - any help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

pikpixelart

The title is a basic summary of what I'm dealing with.

When I first got this computer (and up until last week, actually) I was able to run games such as SSBB, SSBM, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, et cetera without many visual hiccups whatsoever - all in 4x their native resolution with 4XAA enabled. This would barely be affected even if I had tons of other processes open, which I generally didn't.

Now days, most games run at 60% or less of their normal speeds. What could the deal possibly be? I checked my system for any viruses, and Malwarebytes said I was clear. I've ran some memory diagnostics as well, which didn't help either. Thanks in advance.

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Processor/CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 CPU 4 cores, 8 Logical Processors
Video Card/GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Memory/RAM: 16GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 3.5-367

edit: I'd like to mention that games still lag if I reduce the resolution and remove the AA. It never used to be that way, but yeah...
1. Use the latest build from the official site (this site). Or use 3.5
2. Check your temperature to make sure nothing is overheating.

pikpixelart

Thanks!
1. Using the latest build helped. It runs things near their full FPS.
I'm still curious, though: did my old Dolphin degenerate or something? It used to run how the new one does now, and I'm using the same settings.
2. Temperature seems to be fine:
[Image: 2013-07-01_1633.png]
You were likely just using a bad build from another site.
Were you running a game the moment you took that screenshot? Why is the 3820 only showing 1.2ghz?
*NaturalViolence can't believe he didn't notice that

That might be the issue.

pikpixelart

(07-02-2013, 10:50 AM)georaldc Wrote: [ -> ]Were you running a game the moment you took that screenshot? Why is the 3820 only showing 1.2ghz?
Brawl's running in the background of that screenshot. The number fluctuates pretty often, especially when switching tasks, so I'm assuming I caught it a very noticeable low point?

[Image: 2013-07-01_2215.png]

For the record, I'm certain I got that older build of Dolphin from this website.
Such poor CPU frequency....
i7 3820 suppose to stay at 3.7-3.8GHz while Dolphin is running
Install Intel Turbo Boost monitor 2.5
Run Throttlestop
[Image: throttlestop510.png]
Tick "Clock Modulation" , "Chipset Clock Mod" ,"Set Multiplier" . Choose multiplier = 37 (or 38)
You will have 37x100MHz = 3.700MHz ~ 3.7GHz
Click Save and close Throttlestop . Run Throrrlestop again to take effect , keep throttlestop running
Then run Dolphin
Either his cpu is throttling or realtemp is just really inaccurate about cpu clock rates (more likely the latter).