Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Choppiness on Ubuntu, but not Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

alexp82539

I run my laptop with a dual boot config. Playing games under windows runs beautifully, but then under ubuntu it's very choppy.

My laptop has 2 GPU's. However, I notice an improvement when I use the dedicated rather than integrated, to I know that's not the issue.

All specs may be found on my profile. But to sum up:

Intel i7 3rd Gen
8gig Ram
Nvidia Geforce 650M
Dolphin 3.5-1531

Any ideas anyone?
What games are you playing? Additionally, which i7 CPU specifically is in your laptop?

Make sure that Ubuntu isn't using the Intel HD 3000. The HD 3000 will easily bottleneck any system in Dolphin, even at 1x IR for some games. Make sure you've installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers for Linux (the OSS ones aren't as good for performance).

It would also be helpful to know your Dolphin settings; you can post those as screenshots if you want to.
If your laptop uses nVidia Optimus, the best thing you can do is installing the packages bumblebee and bumblebee-nvidia. Then, run Dolphin from a terminal using optirun dolphin-emu

I'm saying that because I have just got a laptop very similar to your (however I have a GT635M), and installing only the nvidia proprietary drivers directly rendered my Ubuntu install accessible only through command-line interface Tongue

Another thing, even using the nVidia card, I think Dolphin in Ubuntu is more demanding than in Windows, in Ubuntu the maximum IR I could get without bottleneck was 2x, using Dolphin in Windows, same revision, settings and game, I can easily go to 2.5-3x without bottleneck...

alexp82539

(06-28-2013, 08:23 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]If your laptop uses nVidia Optimus, the best thing you can do is installing the packages bumblebee and bumblebee-nvidia. Then, run Dolphin from a terminal using optirun dolphin-emu

I'm saying that because I have just got a laptop very similar to your (however I have a GT635M), and installing only the nvidia proprietary drivers directly rendered my Ubuntu install accessible only through command-line interface Tongue

Another thing, even using the nVidia card, I think Dolphin in Ubuntu is more demanding than in Windows, in Ubuntu the maximum IR I could get without bottleneck was 2x, using Dolphin in Windows, same revision, settings and game, I can easily go to 2.5-3x without bottleneck...
I also had that problem installing the proprietary drivers, was not a fun day...
That is how I am running dolphin though, from the command line with optirun with the same problem. I'm assuming it's just the fact it's more demanding under ubuntu. I would imagine since the linux package is newer than the windows one that it may be less refined. Oh well.

(06-28-2013, 07:23 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]What games are you playing? Additionally, which i7 CPU specifically is in your laptop?

Make sure that Ubuntu isn't using the Intel HD 3000. The HD 3000 will easily bottleneck any system in Dolphin, even at 1x IR for some games. Make sure you've installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers for Linux (the OSS ones aren't as good for performance).

It would also be helpful to know your Dolphin settings; you can post those as screenshots if you want to.
I'll let you know of the setting when I get in from work, cheers Smile
Linux has to stick with OpenGL . Though Linux OpenGL is faster than Windows OpenGL (some Linux users said this) , it's still slower than Direct3D9

alexp82539

(07-03-2013, 01:09 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Linux has to stick with OpenGL . Though Linux OpenGL is faster than Windows OpenGL (some Linux users said this) , it's still slower than Direct3D9
I see. I'll see how well it works under opengl on windows. If performance is similar then case closed Smile