Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Budget Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am building a pc for my son that can run dolphin and pc games. He wants to play SMG, metroid prime 1,2,3, skies of arcadia, xenoblade, wind waker, twilight princess, and skyward sword. Will these specs cut it?

i5 3470
asrock pro4
geforce gtx 660
corsair vengeance 8 gigs 1600 mhz
corsair hydro series h40 liquid cooler
I highly recommend a "k" CPU

Qaazavaca Qaanic

You *probably* don't need a 660 for Dolphin only. PC gaming possibly. But I have next to no experience with graphically intensive PC games.
And K's are overclockable, though a 3570k is going to be more expensive by about $30-$40. But your water cooler will be next to useless without a K.
<and swipes your avatar> I've been looking for something like that for seconds! </sarcasm>
Admin89 told me that the asrock pro4 has a no k overclock function, so i can overclock without the extra $40, which is ideal for a budget build.
You can get i5 4430 which is cheaper and i5 4xxx is next gen (microcenter.com if you live in US)
Asrock Z87 Pro 3 is cheap as well
As for the GPU , GTX 760 is faster than GTX 660TI , cost almost the same as GTX 660 . GTX 760 is a no brainer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...814130933
(06-26-2013, 11:07 AM)T1000 Wrote: [ -> ]Admin89 told me that the asrock pro4 has a no k overclock function, so i can overclock without the extra $40, which is ideal for a budget build.

Asrock pro4 or any other asrock mainboard should not have any special overclocking features which would allow some kind of non-k overclocking which other mainboards will not provide.
If you don't buy the mainboard with the cheapest chipset such as h61 or b75 you will be able to overclock any cpu by 400 mhz, this is probably what admin89 meant, it is NOT limited only to asrock boards.
If you buy K version of the cpu, you will be able to overclock much more then 400 mhz.

You will NOT be able to oveclock non K version of i5 3470 by more then 400 mhz, and it's simply too little.
You can overclock i5 3470k by 1Ghz and maybe even more
I see. I have modified the build a bit according to your advice.

i5 3570k
geforce gtx 760
gigabyte ga-z77-ds3h
cooler master hyper 212 plus

I've heard on several forums that you can overclock safely with a good air cooler. Is this true?
i5 4 core 3.2ghz or 3.4ghz don't overclocked unless u want take risk shorten lifespan of ur cpu so on.....

8gb ram
GTX 550ti or GTX 650 2gb DDR5
get best cooler than liquid cooler unless you wan to take risk if leak liquid
window 7 64bit

motherboard get Asus or depend you

good power supply cooler master or corsair

for ur gaming rig

overclock not warranty cover take note!
no need to buy expensive Gpu extra money go for hdd , desktop casing so on....
I need the better gpu because he wants to play pc games too, which rely on a powerful gpu not cpu.
???
My 5 year olds CPU (1GHz overclocked) is still going strong , it run 24/7 without an issue (my sister owns it now)
take risk shorten lifespan ...That will never happen if you know what you're doing . Keep voltage as low as possible (< 1.35Vcore) , I can guarantee that your CPU will be safe 100% for at least 8 years

i5 2500k/i5 3570k OC -> 4.5GHz will need around 1.26-1.3Vcore . Keep in mind that high voltage will cause more heat and damage your CPU
An i5 4670k OC -> 4.6GHz will only need 1.2V if you're lucky
Pages: 1 2