Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T ... Anything I can do to help get over 93% in SMG?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

MarkDLeach

I know the AMD CPUs to less per core than Intel CPUs. I was looking around on Passmark's single threaded performance chart(http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html).

My CPU only gets a 1,218 per core. From what I understand you can only get Dolphin to use 3 cores by checking the "Enable Duel Core" and "DSP LLE on Thread". Are there any another tweaks I could do that would allow me to push it a bit further? I get up to 100% but most of the time I sit around 90%

Any way to run it in some kind of bottle that only lets Dolphin see 1 Core but it is really split across all 6?

Thanks for any input you may have.
SMG + LLE = i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz
Since you said 93% speed , i bet you used the default HLE , not LLE audio or you did enable "Skip EFB to CPU access" which will give you performance but you will lose accuracy (can't pull star)
Phenom II x6 performs quite close to the high end Core 2 Quad in Dolphin (clock for clock) ....There is no other way than upgrading or pushing (OC) it further
Keep in mind that a Phenom II x6 @ 4.0GHz performs not even close to an i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz , same goes to AMD FX series (high clock speed but those high clock speed is just for show)

MarkDLeach

Hey thanks for the reply ... it helped a bit.

Quote:I bet you used the default HLE , not LLE audio or you did enable
No, I was using DSP LLE recompiler with XAudio. From what I read online the "fast" setting would drop music eventually.

Quote:"Skip EFB to CPU access"
Thanks! This REALLY speeds things up! Unfortunately this is a big part of the game :/. Thanks for the tip though. I might be able to play some other games with it off. It is interesting that I can use the pointer and click through menus but the aiming starbites(I think thats the word) is broken with it off. Quite a bummer that it is tied to that function. Is there any list of games that don't need use that?

Quote:Core 2 Quad in Dolphin (clock for clock) ....
Close. My Core2 Quad Extreme is a bit slower with single threaded tasks. I would over clock my older Core2 Quad but they really don't handle overclocking very well.

Quote:high clock speed but those high clock speed is just for show
Not sure where you heard that... The 6 and 8 core AMDs do very well with multi-threaded tasks like After Effects and Cinema 4D. I use these apps with my work daily. I bought this CPU a while back based on it performance per dollar with multi-threaded tasks. I am really tempted by the AMD FX-8350 as it out performs the i5 Haswells in the tasks I would use it for BUT Dolphin emulation is far superior on the Intel Core i5-4670 because the performance per core...
I'm talking about single threaded performance ... We're talking about Dolphin stuffs , right ?
In multi-threaded performance , AMD 8350 outperform i5 3570k Everyone know that

MarkDLeach

I wasn't trying to start a platform war. I was just giving a rebuttal to your statement about clock-speeds being for show. Thanks for the help though.
(06-25-2013, 07:32 PM)MarkDLeach Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't trying to start a platform war.
Neither am I
I just want to point out you're overestimating your CPU
Neither Phenom II x6 @ 3.2GHz nor i5 3570k @ 3.2GHz (underclocked) can run SMG + LLE full speed
Quote: I was just giving a rebuttal to your statement about clock-speeds being for show.
We have Dolphin Benchmark to prove that
FX-8150 @ 4.6GHz & FX 8350 @ 4.0 (with Turbo 4.2GHz) are slower than i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz
(06-25-2013, 07:22 PM)MarkDLeach Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I bet you used the default HLE , not LLE audio or you did enable "Skip EFB to CPU access"
No, I was using DSP LLE recompiler with XAudio. From what I read online the "fast" setting would drop music eventually.

You were right to use LLE. But that means there's nothing you can really do to get your performance better.
The only thing I'm thinking of is to use an old build (3.0 and even before). They tend to be faster. But they tend to be less accurate too.

Btw the build you're using is old. You'll find latest ones here

MarkDLeach

(06-25-2013, 09:42 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Btw the build you're using is old. You'll find latest ones here
Is it common practice to use the nightlies with Dolphin?

I grabbed the most recent stable build.
Dolphin 2.0 , 3.0 , 3.5 are stable build
Dolphin 3.5-xxxx are beta
3.5-367 is also beta
shall not be named is an unofficial site which doesn't release any update since Dolphin 3.5-367
Latest build atm is 3.5-1522
(06-25-2013, 09:50 PM)MarkDLeach Wrote: [ -> ]I grabbed the most recent stable build.

You did not. The most recent stable version is Dolphin 3.5 (with nothing behind).
3.5-367 is a "Development version". The latest one is 3.5-1522 as admin89 mentioned it above.
Pages: 1 2