Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin won't detect my graphics card. :/
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Ser Tahu

I just download dolphin, and much to my disappointment the programme is not detecting my graphics card, and is instead using the intel integrated graphics (HD Graphics 3000). As a result F-Zero GX runs between 20%-30% (sometimes dropping as low as 15%, and peaking at 40% if I am lucky). Here are my laptop's specs:

The laptop itself is an Asus N35SV
Intel i7-2630QM 2.00GHz
Nvidia GT540M (with the latest driver)
16.0GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
Dolphin 3.5-x86
dual hard drives (I have it running of my D drive).

But I can't seem to get Dolphin to detect the 540M when I am in the graphics options. Can anybody provide any help? Also, assuming I can get it to detect the graphics card, would my computer be powerful enough to run F-Zero GX and Wind Waker?
(06-20-2013, 10:13 PM)Ser Tahu Wrote: [ -> ]I can't seem to get Dolphin to detect the 540M when I am in the graphics options.

Read this thread.

(06-20-2013, 10:13 PM)Ser Tahu Wrote: [ -> ]assuming I can get it to detect the graphics card, would my computer be powerful enough to run F-Zero GX and Wind Waker?

Wind Waker: Yes.
F-Zero GX: No
Your GPU isn't limiting you much here – F-Zero GX is bottlenecked by your CPU. It's set to run in single-core mode (as there are issues on dual-core), and even when forced to use dual-core it's a pretty demanding game. Most folks around here recommend an i5-4670K (not sure if it still needs to be overclocked, since Haswell somehow boosted performance quite a bit for emulation) or something near that level to run this on.

Ser Tahu

(06-20-2013, 10:29 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2013, 10:13 PM)Ser Tahu Wrote: [ -> ]I can't seem to get Dolphin to detect the 540M when I am in the graphics options.

Read this thread.

(06-20-2013, 10:13 PM)Ser Tahu Wrote: [ -> ]assuming I can get it to detect the graphics card, would my computer be powerful enough to run F-Zero GX and Wind Waker?

Wind Waker: Yes.
F-Zero GX: No
Thank you so much! I now have Dolphin using my 540M.

Now, new question: I am now getting around 40%-60% in F-Zero GX, and my GPU load averages around 25%-30%. By comparison Dirt 3 runs fine, and the GPU load averages around 60%-65%. Would somehow forcing it to put more of a load on my GPU do anything? And if so, how would I do that?

EDIT:

(06-20-2013, 11:17 PM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Your GPU isn't limiting you much here – F-Zero GX is bottlenecked by your CPU. It's set to run in single-core mode (as there are issues on dual-core), and even when forced to use dual-core it's a pretty demanding game. Most folks around here recommend an i5-4670K (not sure if it still needs to be overclocked, since Haswell somehow boosted performance quite a bit for emulation) or something near that level to run this on.
So basically I am just out of luck when it comes to F-Zero GX?
(06-20-2013, 11:18 PM)Ser Tahu Wrote: [ -> ]So basically I am just out of luck when it comes to F-Zero GX?

Dolphin is more CPU dependent unlike PC games that are GPU dependent. As pauldacheez said F-Zero GX is a very demanding game. Your CPU is a bit weak for this game. Zelda WW is a "light" game so you should be more lucky with this one
On the bright side, Dolphin is comparatively light on GPU usage, so a GTX 540M like yours can probably go pretty high on the enhancements (3x/4x internal resolution, 16x AF, no AA (because with a high enough internal res you don't need AA!)) with no noticeable slowdown.
GTX 540M can do 2.5x Internal Resolution at best